Black Australorps

ovenman99

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 10, 2014
the question i have is that they started to lay and haven't been getting any eggs for over a week now what could be the reason

How old are they and how long have they been laying? How many were laying? Many pullets don’t molt their first fall/winter but keep on laying whether you extend the lights or not, though some do molt. Older hens molt and quit laying this time of year. Have you seen a lot of feathers blowing around?

Are they hiding a nest on you? That’s real common.

If it were just one I’d ask if she’s gone broody. They quit laying when they go broody but it’s unlikely all of them have.

Have you made any changes lately? Adding or taking away chickens, changing lighting schedule, moving them to a new coop or run, making changes to their coop or run can sometimes disrupt laying.

Is something getting the eggs? Many things that eat the eggs leave signs, but some things take the eggs and leave no clues. Possums, skunks, rats and the chickens themselves normally leave some clues behind thought he chickens might eat the shells. Usually they don’t eat the shells but occasionally they do. Canines, snakes, and humans take the eggs and leave no traces. Raccoons make carry the egg away but they normally eat them pretty close by. Has your family dog learned that the egg song is an invitation to a treat?

They are 7 months there was 3 but one died about a week ago that has been the only change I have 1 rooster and 1 hen besides the 2 australorps no fighting with each other they have a 16x20 run and a coop to go into at night with nesting boxes and roosts
No feathers blowing around

Why did that one die? That seems to coincide with when they quit laying. There may be a connection. Stress from whatever killed her or stress form a change in the pecking order.

Have no idea what killed her when I woke up in the morning found her dead outside in the Pen

It could. Sometimes stress will cause them to stop laying for a while. It doesn't always happen and they should start back up pretty soon if it did not start a molt.

Good luck!

These are the 2 left I believe they are both hens

Back
Top Bottom