Black austrolorp roo and runt, we think...

EarlGray

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 8, 2011
So we got 2 black austrolorp chicks when they were about 3 weeks old and we were told that they were only a couple days apart in age but there was a distinct size difference. They are now about 12 weeks old and the size difference and rate of maturity has been very different. We are wondering if one is a roo and the other is just a runt. Any guesses?

99190_img_3664.jpg

99190_img_3677.jpg

99190_img_3678.jpg

We also noticed that the one we suspect is a roo has lighter colored eyes than the small one and our other black austrolorp hen. Is there any significance to that or does eye color just vary?

Thanks for any feedback. We live in a city so we can't keep a roo. We are hopeful (but not too optimistic) that we are wrong about the big one.

Rooster and pullet. If the rooster has yellow coloration on the bottom of his feet he is a Jersey Giant which may be the reason why he is larger than the younger pullet-assuming she is an australorp.

Quote:
Ditto. The cockerel has pointed saddle and hackle feathers. In the one pic, the bottom of the roo's feet look yellow. You'll probably want to check the bottom of your pullet's feet too. Yellow feet = Jersey Giant, pink/white feet = Australorp.

Thanks for the input. Too bad about the big one, I guess we will see if we can find a home for him. He does have yellow feet but I haven't been able to see the bottom of the small one's feet this morning, she is being a bit antisocial. I think we will keep the roo for a little bit in hopes that we can use him while introducing the small one into our existing flock. That way it will be two old birds vs two new birds as opposed to two on one. We still have a wait about a month so hopefully puberty will not strike him early. Should we see about getting another pullet that is about 12 weeks old to replace the roo?

The new girl and guy are in a tractor during the day, hence the grass. The permanent run only has a little grass left in it. It has a been a terribly cold and rainy spring in Seattle this year so the grass has out paced the girls.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom