1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Black Bantam a Roo or Hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by wacwebb, Jul 29, 2014.

1. wacwebb

wacwebb Hatching

Jun 12, 2014
    We go these 3 chickens back in may and they say they were 2 weeks old Which was May 24, 2014 . The black one is much bigger than the white one and brown one. Also are they all Bantams or different breeds? The White and the brown one had clips in their wings and I am told they are definite hens, but the black one did not and they said there is a 50/50 chance it could be a Roo. Just need to know as my daughter named "her" Chickaletta, the white one is Vanellopie and the brown one is Carmel. :)

Picks to follow
    [​IMG]This is Chickaletta

[​IMG]

[​IMG]Here is a good back view of her
    [​IMG]Here is Vanellopie and Carmel as you can see they are much smaller

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Cyan Night

Cyan Night Songster

Jul 31, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    The first one looks like a roo, the other two look like pullets

3. WildWestChick

WildWestChick Songster

Mar 24, 2014
    Southwestern Utah
    They all look like pullets to me :idunno cause if the black one was a rooster..it would have longer tail feathers and hackl/saddle feathers by now, and it's wattles and comb would be larger and more red I would think.

4. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Songster

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    If it was two weeks old then, it would be about 10 now, so hackle and saddle feathers wouldn't be in yet. I would say the first is a roo, the other two are pullets

5. wacwebb

wacwebb Hatching

Jun 12, 2014
    Thank you all! I will keep you updated on him/her as they continue to grow. I am afraid if its a Roo then we will have to give him to someone else, as we are sort of on the edge of city limits, and Roos aren't allowed inside the city limits...but our neighbor has all kinds of exotic animals so I do not see why it would be a problem, just do not need any problems from anyone. :)

6. kltrett175

kltrett175 Chirping

Jul 16, 2014
    Oklahoma
    None of them are bantam from what I can tell . They look to big.

7. wacwebb

wacwebb Hatching

Jun 12, 2014
    The bin they came from said Bantam. I do not really know anything about chickens. I however LOVE the ones we got, they are so beautiful in color.

8. kltrett175

kltrett175 Chirping

Jul 16, 2014
    Oklahoma
    How old are they ?

9. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

No doubt it's a cockerel :(

10. wacwebb

wacwebb Hatching

Jun 12, 2014
    When I got them on May 24th they were 2 weeks old ( or so they say) so they are nearly 11 weeks old

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by