BLACK BEANS - High protein ? ? OK to feed to my darlins ? ?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by math ace, Sep 10, 2010.

1. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    So, I made black bean soup the other night. Can I feed the left overs to my chickens?

Is it considered a high protein supplement or is it the same as feeding them scratch / corn ? ?

2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Cooked is o.k. Pretty high in protein, my girls don't really like 'em much. [​IMG]

3. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Did I mention that it was Black beans done southern style - - - you know with ham in it. LORDY - - the girls sure chowed down on the ham - - - I'll have to go back and check on the black bean progress later.

I threw out some cooked butternut squash too. They really liked it too.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  4. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    They are going to love it, especially if you sprinkle a bit of corn meal on top. They'll think they are have black bean soup with cornbread. Mine do. YUM.

edited to add: You be careful when you give them Sweet Potato's or even just the skins. Just toss and run. Get out of their way. They will tromp you down or fly through you to get to those Yams. It's happened here, had a sore arm for awhile from a close fly by.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  5. Happy chickens do like a little surprise now and then. Mine love cooked red beans, black beans, and green beans. It's a trip watching how fast they devour leftovers.

6. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Just make sure you open all the windows in the coop. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. UrbanChick101

UrbanChick101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Eastern Iowa
    [​IMG] Goin' to have some pretty runny & smelly pooo!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by