Black bear got one of my birds

I am curious why everyone says bears cant be shot with low calib, weapons? every animal in this planet has a kill spot. even a .22 can kill a bear if you know what your doing.(or so I assume) Biggest game I ever shot with a .22 was a deer. We dont have bears in this part of Oklahoma. So are bears just bullet proof? heart shots, head shots? are bears resistant to them? I heard someone post a .357 wouldnt hurt a bear?????? so how do people dispose of bears then? will 7.762 work? Guess I am glad I dont have bears here I will stick with my coyotes bobcats and occasional wild dogs.

Hang bacon or aluminum foil coated with peanut butter on the hot wire. Then the bear will touch the wire with his nose or mouth. He'll get the message, and you will hear one heck of a roar. If they contact the hotwire with their body they will not get a shock- too much hair.

Quote:
A small caliber can kill a bear, but you would have to be very precise and it's far more likely that you would only wound it, which as the op noted is just not a good idea. A head shot is risky since bears have very thick skulls (literally) so a heart shot would be ideal, but again not worth the risk unless it was already a life or death situation. Hotwire and a call to fish and game are probably best options in this situation and I hope the op can resolve this safely and soon.

Wet the ground good where you think he will try and cross the fence. It will give him 2x the shock. The hair on a bear is so thick the only way to get his attention is to wet the ground.

Quote:
Well, hot wire will work on Grizzlies so why not a black bear? Hot wire works on buffalo and 1600 pound bulls. They use hot wire to keep bears in Zoos.

It is best to have it set up and running BEFORE you have a bear problem.

Bears tend to keep charging if they are shot with a low caliber. Not saying it will not eventually kill the animal. You want the bullet big enough to drop it, then and there and of course you have to some knowledge of where to shoot it in the first place.
Sometimes a situation isn't convenient for a one time shot using a smaller caliber. Bears can out run people.
Bears are a big problem this year. Going to be a cold winter.

Quote:
A small caliber can kill a bear, but you would have to be very precise and it's far more likely that you would only wound it, which as the op noted is just not a good idea. A head shot is risky since bears have very thick skulls (literally) so a heart shot would be ideal, but again not worth the risk unless it was already a life or death situation. Hotwire and a call to fish and game are probably best options in this situation and I hope the op can resolve this safely and soon.

IC thank you for that info WoW I feel bad for anyone who has to deal with bears.
hide.gif

I'd like to add a stupid/funny personal story regarding black bear encounters...I live in Northern NJ (bear country, believe it or not!) and the FIRST time I ever saw a black bear in my backyard she had 4 cat-sized cubs. And my chix were free-ranging in the yard at the time. I yelled, the bear stopped, the chix ran for their coop. They had to actually run towards then past the bear to get to their coop (mine didn't get any awards for brains LOL). She huffed and bolted with all 4 kids up into my willow trees to escape the charge! When the chix settled down and came back out into the yard momma bear decided it was safe now and came down. It took her 10 minutes to successfully get herself and the cubs out of the yard because she was afraid of the girls!

On a more serious note, this year I think my town is up 24 bears killed this year by police and F&W for property damage, killing livestock (including one that apparently ripped into a chicken coop), menacing people, etc.

Back
Top Bottom