black bears?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bryan8, Oct 14, 2009.

1. bryan8

bryan8 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    New york
    Well theres been a huge black bear in my neiborhood ripping down peoples bird feeders. Will it attack/eat my chickens?

~Bryan

2. Le Canard de Barbarie

Le Canard de Barbarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Yes

3. Hippie Chick in PA

Hippie Chick in PA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2009
    Yep

4. bryan8

May 21, 2009
    New york
    Dang it... Well if it comes back on sat it's getting a arrow, and I'm gettin a rug [​IMG]

5. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    If arrow is well placed, bear will not make it 50 yards. If you are just a little off, you have a BIG
    problem.

6. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Don't you have a gun? I wouldn't want you to come up against a wounded bear. I hope you have a good aim.

7. catfish/okie

catfish/okie Chillin' With My Peeps

One time we were having a revival at our church and the evangilist was from Hevaner Ok next to the Ark. OK. border. He told me a black bear broke into one of his members cabin. They called the came warden and he tracked a bear and shot a dart in him and put him to sleep then tagged him and took him to 3 sticks a isolated part of the kiamiche mountains and let him go. A few days later a man called him complaining a bear broke into his chicken pen and he tracked a bear with an orange tag so he had to put him to sleep for good. This is the first year people could legally hunt bears in OK.

8. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    They will tear a chicken pen apart to get to the birds or eggs. They could be protected by state or feds . I would not call in if you want rid of it. They might come sniffing around if one of their precious bears went missing, if they are electronically tagged. I would put a really hot fence charger up and put several courses of 14 ga wire around the pen. Bears tolerate pain pretty well tho. It may be that you could run 220 volts to the pen and attach one side of it to a perimeter wire with insulators. Then put a strip of galvanized wire mesh on the ground and ground that good with a couple of ground rods. Only power it up at night. Instead of a low current hi voltage shock, it could be lethal and will darned sure get the bear's attention. If all else fails, shoot, shovel, and shut up. Best if the shoveling/dumping is done somewhere far from home on public land somewhere.

9. bryan8

May 21, 2009
    New york
    Bear season opens this sat for bow, so if I see it I could shoot it. I bow hunt alot for deer and I feel confindent that I could take the shot. At 20yrds I get 1-2 inch groups. At 30 yrds I get 3-4 inch groups. At 40 yrds I get 5-6 inch groups. I won't take a shot on a bear past 30 yards with my bow. I'm pulling 60 lbs and have a 28 1/2 inch draw. I'm getting around 314 fps, out of my 09 Martin firecat. I use rage 2 blades broadheads.

Sorry to bore you non bow hunters with bow talk, but I was woundering if my set up could drop a bear.

I don't want to mess with 220 v set ups. I'll just keep the girls in there inside run/coop untill I take care of th bear

10. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    bryan8~ Do you have adjustable sights or just one fixed sight? My hubby bow hunts and I am just getting into it, I myself would much rather riffle hunt. [​IMG] I know when we sight in our bows we keep a close pattern probably 1-2in at any distance you just have to adjust your sights. My hubby has his matthews set at 60 lbs for our mule and whitetail deer around here. Mine is 55lbs. We use self assembled three blade broadheads. I know those bears have a very large shoulder plate that an arrow might not beable to go threw. You have to hit him right when he is stepping forward so those organs are exposed, if you don't and hit him when he has his arm back then that plate protects everything and you are going to have one very very mad bear on your hands. [​IMG] I think your bow might beable to get him if you have great aim and don't get "buck fever" once you see him. You aren't going to drop him, he is probably going to run and you are going to have to track him while he bleeds out. I would get a pretty vicious broadhead to shoot at him, something special you want it to actualy to some damage. They have such tough fur and skin it isn't even funny. If you can pull back a little more weight maybe 65lbs that probably would be a little better. Check G&F and see if there is a limit to what your bow has to be set at for bear, it might be different from deer. Oh yea make sure you have the right weight arrow for your setup.

Here you have to have a bear tag from game and fish to hunt bear. You buy it over the counter you don't have to get drawn. I would check that out first, look up game and fish in your state and they should have a website to tell you. (You already know that if you hunt [​IMG]) Its always better to be safe then sorry on those kinds of things.

LOL, that is everything I can think of right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by