Black Bears

ephraim-em

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 31, 2011
OK...I am a total newbie here. We are in the process of finishing our remodeled playhouse/coop and have 12 chicks to house. So, does anyone know if bears are predators to chickens? We have a black bear that has taken to roaming the neighborhood and do not yet have a run for our girls. We intend to put an electric fence around the perimeter of the run for any stray dogs etc. because we do not live in a fenced yard sort neighborhood and we do have occasional dogs roaming. Bears are common here and have free range but tend mostly top rob untended garbage cans. So, anyone here ever have to deal with bears?? We are wondering how aggressive they might be toward the chicks/chickens.

Heck yes, we had it happen in our county just the other day in a residential neighborhood.

OK...question answered. Yikes...guess that electric fence will be getting some good uses. Wish a shotgun were allowed but....grrrrr! Oh right, that is what the bear is supposed to say! Thanks for feedback.
hmm.png

I think people have written that bears go right thru the electric fence - because their thick fur insulates them. It would probably just tick them off and make them madder. They have reported bears tearing off the sides of steel storage sheds etc. I would just pick up and move to a bear free area - I wouldn't want to confront them.

Quote:
This is true, the little round wire will not shock a bear if it touches the hide. But the way around that is, use barb wire. The barbs go though the hair and you can hear the bear a mile away. I know some don't like barb wire, but I like bear less. Others will tell you to bait the wire with bacon or peanut butter. To me that is just showing them where the food is. Your other animals and kids will learn quick enough that the wire is hot and will stay away from it. I had a horse that would run though must fences, but wouldn't go near an electric fence. Other animals will also stay a few feet back from it, seems they can sense the electricity in the wire. And a good gun is a must in bear country.

Bears love chicken. About 4 years ago I had a neighbor that ask me to put an end to whatever was killing his chickens. It killed over 200 in a month.(He raised free range fryers.) All he ever found was feathers. I went to his house and set up and it took about 15 minute before a young bear came out and went to the chicken pen. I have pics but will not post as I do not want to offend anyone.

Sure appreciate all the feedback. Moving is not an option...we live in Alaska and bears are "free range". There are more and more folks doing chickens here with insulated coops etc., but bears are still around. Guns are allowed, but unfortunately, fish and game just won't act on the presence of bears and wait for damage to occur before acting. Black bears are good climbers so fences only deter but do not totally eliminate their wanderings. Wonder if barbed wire could be electrified and run along top of chicken fence to protect the girls...any ideas on that?

barbed wire stretched tight with a high joule charger would work. I would say put in good sized post 6+ inched in diameter. put wire on both sides of post about 8 inches apart and if bear tries to pass the wire will definetly penetrate the fur. I don't know how much of an area you have to fence but barbed wire is cheap. Get a fence charge that will fence like 50-75 miles of fence. More power on less fence. This should be a very high joule charge that will give him a good suprise. Jeffers vet supply used to carry the huge heavy duty charger.
Here is a charger I have used. The price seems high as I only paid $300 for mine but it will control anything that walks if the fence is put up right. Solar power would probably be a back choice up north so get an electric model. Don't skimp on quality

http://www.gallagherusa.com/electric-fencing/permanent.component.aspx?mktprodid=1608

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom