Black Beauties? Sil-Go-Link? RIR? Confused....

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by WyanLuv, Nov 19, 2008.

1. WyanLuv

WyanLuv Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Iowa
    I have the opportunity to buy what is called black beauties.... Anyone know anything about this type of bird? I have never heard of it. However by doing a little looking up on some web sites I found a place called Central Hatchery that says if you cross black beauties with a rir roo that the outcome would be a sil-go-link? Which, I have never heard of.... Then again, I am new to the chicken industry in respect to not knowing much about other breeds besides the most common. Anyone with any info to better explain black beauties, if they are a good bird to add to the flock, and would it be a good investment for future sil-go-link birds would be helping me out! Thanks!

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Black beauties are another name for a black-sex link. A typical black sex-link comes from a RIR or NHR rooster over a barred rock hen. Males are barred, females are solid black - both will tend to leak some of the red coloring in the hackle area.

I'm not sure what they're calling a sil-go link. Possibly a silver & gold sex-link? How they get that from black sex-links and RIR is beyond me.

Anywho, sex-links (be they black, gold, or red) make great egg layers. [​IMG] Males generally have a nice size to them and are good to eat, though they are not near the size of cobbs, broilers, or cornishX

3. Cuban Longtails

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Ahh... sil-go link is a red sex-link. [​IMG] I looked at their website. Those are made with a RIR rooster over a White Rock hen.

4. WyanLuv

WyanLuv Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Iowa
    So, in other words, a black sex link is not a bad chicken to own? There are about 10 pullets that are laying that I can get for $5 a bird. I didn't think that was too bad. Good for egg production? I would LOVE it if they would teach my other 30 some pullets to start laying eggs! [​IMG]
    Do I get anything fancy if I use a RIR Roo with them? A hybrid sexlink or just a mixed chicken? [​IMG]

Oh, and by the way.... I love this smiley! [​IMG]

5. Cuban Longtails

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Just a mixed chicken if you try to cross with anything else. Sex-linking is only good with certain breeds male and female combinations, and only for the first generation chicks. [​IMG]

I hear ya about the laying problem... Mine aren't being very productive either. [​IMG]

$5 for a layer is a very good price! [​IMG] I usually sell mine for around $10.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by