1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Bellied Whistling Ducks hanging around this morning

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hammerhead, Nov 12, 2009.

1. hammerhead

hammerhead Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I had thirteeen Black Bellied Whistling Duck on the edge of the pond this morning. I think this may be the result of the two pair that hung around the pond most of the spring and early summer. I love the sound they make! I am going to try to make some nesting boxes for them. My understand is BBWD nest like the wood ducks except I think the boxes will need to be bigger. Does anybody have any information on this? Thank you.

Hammerhead

2. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Place the boxes adjacent or in the wetland you have selected.
    Disperse the boxes individually throughout the wetland serving as the production area. That is, do not clump the boxes.
    Place the boxes so they are visible from at least one quarter of their surroundings, preferably the direction toward the wetland.
    Place the boxes so that when you are standing at any given box location you cannot see other boxes nearby.
    Protect the box from entry by predators.

For BBWD the nest box should be identical to a wood duck nesting box, but it should have a larger entrance hole, at least 4"

3. hammerhead

hammerhead Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Technically, the only wetlands I have is my pond so I can try one there. My neighbor has an old rice canal on his property so I may ask if I can put some up there. I know this year was tough on them with the draught. Thanks for the information.

Hammerhead

4. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    I love the sound they make too.. I had two females up until a a month ago.. they flew off this year as hubby wouldn't let me clip their wings this year... Fred( didn't know was she when we named it) called in 18 whistling ducks last spring over a period of days and weeks. first 2 then 5 untill we had 18 one morning.. They ate the scratch we had on the ground visited with fred and louise then left. They had one male that came to visit just about everyday till Sept... I'm hoping Fred comes back in spring... She loved eating mealworms from my hand.. so did louise . Told hubby they will proably come back with their boyfriends in tow...The babie blk bellied whistling ducks are sooo cute too..
    the lake is just a few blocks away from us.. then their is also the wetlands close to it too.. We have them fly over from spring till fall.
    Fred and Louise would steady be talking to them...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by