Black Bibbed x White = Magpie?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LAMchop, Dec 3, 2009.

1. LAMchop

LAMchop Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    SW VA
    I have three black-bibbed call ducks (2 drakes, 1 hen). They don’t really look like call ducks are supposed to, but they’re pretty snappy looking. I also just got a nice pair of white calls.
    The breeder I got my first calls from said if you crossed black bibbed ducks with white ducks you would get magpies. Really?! Or would you just have spotted ducks?[​IMG]

2. LAMchop

Nov 24, 2009
    SW VA
    Bonus duck pictures:

Rocky
    [​IMG]

Webbigail
    [​IMG]

Rambo, looking studly
    [​IMG]

3. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    No, you definitely won't get Magpie from Bibbed crossed with White. Magpie is extended black, bibbed, and pied pattern. You have the first two covered, you would just have to breed in pied. White is recessive, not incompletely dominant. There is generally no way to say what you will get in the first generation when you breed to white because it depends largely on the genetic background of the white bird. In the second generation though, you should see a small percentage of solid white birds (25% if the Bibbed bird is not carrying recessive white). What you should not see is a mixing of the two patterns when you breed to solid white.

BTW, your birds are gorgeous! I would dearly love some beautiful bibbed birds like that! [​IMG]

4. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Hey, you know what- if you have eggs next year I would probably buy some from you (from the Bibbed pair). Is the breeder sure they were out of Call stock? because they look more like Bibbed Mallards. I have a project right now going where I am working with a large game farm in developing some of the naturally occurring Mallard mutations. In their pure wild Mallard stock, about 1 in 500 pops up as Black Bibbed.

5. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Very Pretty ducks though!

*sigh* I want calls

6. LAMchop

Nov 24, 2009
    SW VA
    Thanks you guys! [​IMG]

CityChicker- Thanks for the genetics info, its good to know the nuts and bolts of things. I'm almost 100% sure they are from call stock, I just got an assortment of ducklings last spring of various colors, but they may have been outcrossed to something... Regardless, I hope to get eggs from them in the spring, if things go well I'll let you know! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by