1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Birds and friends

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by BMO, Sep 3, 2011.

1. BMO

BMO Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2009
    have had chickens now for 3 years.
    lost 2 one day to a stray dog, lost 5 one day to coyotes, lost another to a hawk.
    Thats all Ok now, have a good rooster that alerts the hens when there is any danger.( he is better than my two dogs at this )
    What I hate most is, since my chickens are free rangers, I leave the coop door open for them while out, lock them in every evening.
    The birds come in and eat 4 x more chicken feed than the chickens eat in a day.
    Looking for some type of gadget that can keep the birds from reaching down into the feeder and still allow my chickens access.
    Any ideas ?

2. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    Do they use a pop door or is it a human sized door?
    If it is a pop door maybe add some clear vinyl strips to help discourage entry. If it is a human size door I would close it and use a pop door.
    I read somewhere that the shiny foil seals from coffee cans hung around the coop will help discourage wild birds. Does it work? [​IMG]

3. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    We use old CDs on strings at different levels to deter birds and they work well for us on sparrows and such, but the doves ignore them. It is now dove season here though [​IMG] We have the CDs where the breeze spins them and sun reflects off them. Who knows may work for ya.....

4. BMO

BMO Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2009
    I have a poop door. I'll try the clear plastic strips,thanks

5. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    OH and a belated [​IMG]
    I hope it works for you. I think you may need to show the hens that the strips are ok at first.

6. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

I have used the plastic strips also. Some wild birds do still get through. My rooster has pretty much run everyone off now but you could also try a scare crow! [​IMG]

7. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Try the treadle feeders. There's instructions for them on someone 's BYC page...

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:Gallo del Cielo has a pattern on his BYC page. I have seen them for sale I think on Ebay too.

9. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

12 gauge... [​IMG]

10. BMO

BMO Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2009
    I think I shall use both the plastic strips on the poop door and the treadle feeder.
    Like the metal treadle feeders on ebay , it takes care of my other problem which is mice and squarels.
    thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by