Black Bits on the Rooster Comb?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by WalkerH, Oct 27, 2011.

1. WalkerH

WalkerH Chillin' With My Peeps

So I was outside today and was looking at my rooster and noticed he had small black bits on his comb. So I caught him and tried rubbing them off a bit, which they came off. So I think they are just scabs from pecking. Is it normal for the girls to peck the comb of the rooster? None of the hens have this and it is only on his comb and only on the top of it.

2. Little One

Little One Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    SE Virginia
    Could be scabs from mosquito or gnat bites. I see them biting my cockerels comb all the time, and he will shake his head to try getting them off.

3. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    mine get them also...I believe its the other chickens pecking...they peck at specks of food, dust etc...no matter where it is...

4. tigercreek

tigercreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Do a search for fowl pox. Sounds bad, but it isn't. I just had a case of it go thru my flock. .....stan

5. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    My girls peck my roo non-stop,his comb is constantly scabbed and the peck his butt as well and being not the smartest creature he does nothing about it. He out weighs the girls by almost 2 to 1

6. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    is it frost bite? Has it been cold there?

7. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    this is frostbite...compare and see...I am sure it is just pecking going on..can you post a pic?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sometimes they get small pecks...my roo has a slight mark, they come and go, which tells me he is getting pecked at...

8. WalkerH

WalkerH Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't think it is frostbite, hasn't been cold enough. And it is just on the top in small spots. I'll get a picture when I get home though. Some of them did bleed when I rubbed them so I ended up just leaving him alone, but most of them didn't bleed. Which is why I am assuming it is scabs. But I'll check out fowl pox and get that picture. But if it was fowl pox, wouldn't the hens be affected also?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by