Black/Blue Cayuga Duck Flock

Discussion in 'Other Poultry - Birds & Hatching Eggs' started by onehorse_2000, Nov 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onehorse_2000

onehorse_2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    We love these guys, but we need less projects, so we are looking for a home that will use this flock to improve the breed.

Black/Blue Cayuga Duck Flock
    1 Blue Drake
    1 Blue Duck
    3 Black Ducks

All ducks will lay, drake is proven fertile, all ducks and drake are between 2 and 3 yrs old. We have been culling this flock hard for type and color and it shows, but we need one less project and one less pen to feed. Will not split up the flock. $75

Shipping available, buyer pays actual shipping and box fee ($15). Shipping will not be cheap, each duck will need their own box and shipping runs between $45 and $75 per box, depending on location.

Pictures available on request.

2. peachncrm37

peachncrm37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2013
    Central Florida
    Where are you located?

3. onehorse_2000

May 10, 2010
    South Central PA.

4. peachncrm37

peachncrm37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2013
    Central Florida
    Okay thanks I'm in FL, too bad shipping is so much. Hope you find them a great home!

5. mamashomestead

mamashomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    schenevus ny
    May I see photos please. I have black 1 black Cayuga drake and 3 black hens. Never seen or heard of a blue. Your project? Very interesting!

6. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Just a question, why is shipping so much?
    I ship live birds often and have NEVER had one cost more than $40. And that's overnight shipping.
    I shipped one today and it cost just over $12. So I am just wondering why the shipping cost would be so high for these.

1 person likes this.
  7. onehorse_2000

May 10, 2010
    Let me get some pictures tomorrow, I need to get some pictures of some other birds, so that will work out well. They are actually a David Holderread creation from, I believe, the 1990's. He created them, but apparently couldn't get enough interest in them to take it any farther, so sold the stock. There are a handful of blue cayuga flocks out there, but not many, which is a good part of the reason we have held on to them as long as we have, but we are to the point that we aren't doing them the justice they deserve.

8. onehorse_2000

May 10, 2010
    I have no idea how you are shipping, but I have not been able to ship anything for less then $45 regardless of where they were going. These are adult birds weighing roughly 8+lbs in a 10lb shipping box. Cost me $75 to ship 3 little bantam cochins to Kansas last month express. There is no overnight shipping via USPS any longer, it is express with a guarantee delivery date and time with most of the country being about 2 days for delivery. I am more then willing to refund the difference between quoted and actual, but so far the price that I have quoted has been within $2 of what was posted on the box. Thank you for your concern.

9. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    I ship USPS as that's the only service that will ship live birds at this time.
    The one I shipped today weighed 8 1/2 pounds, shipped in the Horizon 10 lb shipping box. And he was shipped Priority per the buyers request. Plus with Priority, it's cheaper than express but also 2 day delivery at most.
    I'm not trying to pick a fight in any way, just trying to figure it out. A lot of people are saying the same as you and shipping for $50+ PER BIRD. Which seems crazy as I've been shipping birds for 3 years now and never had one ship for over $40. Even chicks/ducklings as day olds. What cost other people $30+ I've shipped the same way and had it only cost $6-20 depending on the number of birds being shipped.
    I just don't understand how the USPS is supposedly universal and the same all over, yet it costs some more than others

10. onehorse_2000

May 10, 2010
    I will not ship priority, they are in the mail for too long using Express. If you can ship them cheaper, more power to you. I have been shipping for 8 yrs now and haven't seen anything for less then $40 via overnight/express.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by