Black & Blue Copper Marans Eggs

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by marquisella, Dec 7, 2009.

1. marquisella

marquisella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Dozen Black Copper & Copper blue Marans eggs. Photo is of eggs when first laid, some are still dark, some have lightened up somewhat.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_7NQD_6gyw8U/Sx79UzqSv_I/AAAAAAAAAPM/Ek_Zd9TzNUQ/S230/eggs2.JPG

Picture of eggs being auctioned, ,plus extras with Ameraucana eggs in upper left and Wyandotte eggs in upper right for comparison.

Bev Davis & Wade Jeane lines.

I accept Paypal , master card or visa.

Eggs to be shipped Wednesday.

Sue

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Gosh those eggs are gorgeous!

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Pretty eggs! Would you please post pics of your copper black roo & hen(s)?

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
  5. marquisella

Jan 30, 2009
    I don't have any recent pics of my Marans, but my roosters & hens all fit the French Standard.

I'm breeding to increase the color of the black coppper Hens hackles, so they are in with a roo that has good color, slightly more than I would put in with a hen that has a lot of color. Those hens are with a Davis Roo that has nice dark color & black breast.

I have another pen for the blue hens in with a nice copper blue rooster that has good copper color.

A third pen has a good black copper roo in with blue hens. So I will get both blackcopper & copper blue chicks from them.

The thing you have to watch out for is too much color in the Roosters breast, and too much color in the hens, that give them a "mossy" look. That is not acceptable.

Jeane hens typically have too much color throught out their bodies (mossy) . So breeding them to a Davis Roo helps with that.

Its a balancing act, if you are familiar with Marans.

6. marquisella

Jan 30, 2009
    I'll try & get some photos tomorrow. Unfortunately, my Marans are in an inside pen, so the light is not that good, but I'll try.

7. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Hi, are the eyes the proposed standard of pumpkin for the bcm? I couldn't really clearly see and thanks.

8. marquisella

Jan 30, 2009
    Eye color is good, I get an occasional darker eye. It seems the less copper the bird has, the darker the eyes. Its still a mixing game of color, and probably will always be...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by