black/blue/cuckoo maran eggs..candling day 7!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Tsagirl, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Tsagirl

Tsagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Eugene,OR
    Temperature? I have 2 thermometers for a terrarium tank. One is digital and one is just the normal kind. Which one should I believe?
    The digital one says its 98.4 and the other one says its 100....
    [​IMG]

Does anyone know what one to go by? I really want to have a great hatch with these eggs. [​IMG]

Please if anyone has information on this it would be great.

Thank you!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    You already have the eggs in the bator? If not, set both the thermometers on the counter for a few hours to see what they read. If you know it's 75 degrees in your house, and one reads 74 the other 77, then you'll know how far off the each are. I think most people use the 'average' when having more than one in a bator. Good luck [​IMG]

3. Tsagirl

Dec 9, 2007
    Eugene,OR
    yep they are in the incubator!
    I will use the average...sounds good.

Now cross your fingers for me, these babies are due the 25th!! I will candle on Sunday next week!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

If anyone has any more info, please let me know, I want to have a good hatch! [​IMG]

4. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    If you can immerse them or one of them in water with ice it should read 32. It helps to see if they are accurate.
    Do you have a hygrometer in there to check humidity ?

By they way I use to live in Eugene ! I love it! Iv'e been in Montana 8 years but lived in Eugene 9 years while my kids were in school. They went to Marist. 2 daughters are teachers in Portland.

Good luck Mine are piping tonight !![​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2009
  5. Tsagirl

Dec 9, 2007
    Eugene,OR
    Chicken woman I took your advice and tested the thermometers!
    Would you belive that you were right!

2 of them read the correct temp and that darn sensor reptile one read 2-3 degrees cooler then it was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So with my last hatch, the reason I got one baby was the temp was so high I was baking them!!!!!!!!!!!!

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.......

That one left and now I am using the other 2. I was given a dozen eggs and I have 9 that have wiggly babies!!!!! 2 are so dark I am not sure. And one was clear! What a amazing fertility rate!!!!

I am so happy with the breeder we got these eggs from I can not even begin to tell how elated I am about her!

I will give pics hopefully when these babies start coming out!

Please cross your fingers and toes for me! [​IMG]

My little 4-H daughter will so excited! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by