Black Blue Laced Red Wyandottes?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jag, Sep 29, 2009.

1. jag

jag Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Maine
    I would love to know if you guys think these two boys are black blue laced red wyandottes?
    They were incubated from my flock, which consists of a lot of BLRW, but I also have americanas, which I thought was what they were.

The older rooster is 'Slick' - the greatest roo that ever lived. [​IMG] The younger one is 'Mini-Slick' - the older MS gets, the more I wondered.

What do you think? They both have black nails. [​IMG]

Slick:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mini-Slick:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I believe the first one is a "bleached out" blue laced red Wyandotte. When I say "bleached out" I mean, the sunlight has turned his feathers into a brown color.

It could also be that his feathers are chocolate or dun instead of the usual blue lacing red.

The second bird is definitely a blue-laced red Wyandotte.

3. jag

Mar 9, 2007
    Maine
    Thanks RP!
    [​IMG] That excites the heck outta me!!! Does anyone else have any pictures of their black BLRW's? Especially hens...I have a few of those that I think may be blacks too.

Slick has been that color since he got his color and the picture doesn't really show his blackness...the sun shine really brings out a mahogany undertone he has. He's the sweetest rooster ever and the best yard dog too!! The girls love him.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Wow- if Slick was a man- he'd be a big ol' biker dude [​IMG] They are both so handsome. I hope get one out of my chicks!

5. jag

Mar 9, 2007
    Maine
    LOL!! Slickie a biker dude! He is a big boy!
    Mini Slick is going to be bigger...he was a GIANT chick!!! We also call Mini Slick 'Too Tall'

6. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    wow here's the chick that hatched from you HIs name is Lucas Buck and looks just like his litter mates..and he is also very sweet...[​IMG]

7. kelliepulido

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    and another shot[​IMG][​IMG]

8. jag

Mar 9, 2007
    Maine
    Wow Kellie...he's prettier than mini slick! His coloring is more correct - more red then brassiness and his comb is absolutely beautiful! Both my boys have big bumpy combs.
    Thanks for posting the pictures of him!! I love seeing him. [​IMG] He's got black nails too!

9. kelliepulido

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    so is there such a breed as black blrw and the black nails is that part of the standard for blrw.He just started crowing about 2wks.ago

10. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I'm not certain why they are being called a black blue-laced red Wyandotte. They all appear to be blues laced red to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by