Black Brassy Back what to breed to get it? (pictures added)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by okiehen, Oct 27, 2008.

1. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I have crossed a American Game rooster -color black breasted red, to black Australorps hens and got = black brassy back colored roosters. I would love to be able to reproduce this color on large size chickens. Seeing the roosters are stunningly beautiful. Was color or breed of hens breed back to the cross roo would get this color offspring? I'll have pictures of the rooster in a little while.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  2. okiehen

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
  3. ThiefPouter06

ThiefPouter06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    green co. KY
    Wow, that is an awesome rooster! I have a game hen setting on eggs from her and a Buff orp rooster. I now have a good idea what the young will look like shape wise. How is he toward other roosters?

4. jBlaze

jBlaze Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Oregon
    Beautiful roo!

5. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

They look very simalar to gold duckwingish color..Nice birds..Possibly back to black may..

Charlie

6. okiehen

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Thank you all, I really like them. As far as getting along with other roosters these guys were fine together for awhile.
    And now I have to keep them apart.
    As for the color I had no idea what to call it, the brassy back was the closets I could fine. So you may be right on the gold duck-wing. Maybe someone with the color experience can enlighten us. And I do want to call them the right color.

7. Vcomb

Vcomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
    it's actually not brassyback. basically what you have is the crow-winged equivalent to a gold duckwing. its a very pretty color and I've had it myself a few times. its basically a modified birchen, you can get them by crossing brown reds and birchens.

8. okiehen

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    So if I breed this rooster to brown red hens , this color would be on all the roosters ? What color would the pullets be?
    And would the chicks look different?

9. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
  10. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    does that fit the description of your roos?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by