Black buckets and ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NoisyCricket, Mar 28, 2012.

1. NoisyCricket

NoisyCricket Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2011
    Our ducks (runners and WH), are out with the chickens. We put buckets of water out in multiple locations daily.
    We have recently gotten some black buckets, and the ducks won't drink from them at all. It doesn't matter if the inside of the bucket is white or black, if the outside is black they won't use them.
    It is working out good for us, because now we can put a white bucket next to a black one and the chickens always have fresh water. Has anyone else noticed this, or are my ducks just strange.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    My runners seem to hate black buckets. They don't even want them in their pen.

3. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Interesting... that gives me an idea...

4. I have got to try this for myself . . . My buckets are both green and everything drinks out of them . . . but the chickens would be so happy not to share!

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    It might just be that ducks don't like anything new.

My swimming "ponds" are black and my ducks were in them in a flash when I first put them out. I also use a couple of those black rubber tubs and the ducks use them just fine.

Watch those black buckets extra close for algae in the summer. The water in black buckets heats up faster and warm water breeds algae.

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Nope my ducks drink out of plenty of dark, black coloured water containers.. we use livestock rubber bowl/pans here and my horses water trough is a rubbermaid livestock tank.. so black..

They will drink out of the coloured pools.. and any random bucket kicking about.

7. Tivona

Tivona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    Lets see. I have white, blue, green, red, grey, clear, tan, and pink water containers scattered around and my ducks use all of them. Ahh, and a glazed bean pot that is sort of brick and brown colored. I have them all over and change them as needed. Most are fairly small but some are large enough for a couple of ducks to bath in plus I have a kiddie pool. I only have to change a few each day mostly the pond and the two in the goose yard. No black though. However I suspect my ducks wouldn't care if one was black.

8. Jakl

Jakl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2012
    I am seeing a can of black spray paint in the future for my horses water buckets, the geese and ducks can't seem to stay out of them.... hmmm. I have tried several approaches to keeping them out nothing seems to work.

9. NoisyCricket

NoisyCricket Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2011
    I have a 40 gal black tub that they will go in and drink from, but even that took them about a week. The smaller black buckets have been out for 2 weeks now, and they haven't touched them.
    Maybe my ducks are just strange...

10. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Probably just a personality thing. My ducks will dunk their heads in anything with water.. funniest thing is seeing a hen try and squeeze herself into a small bucket [​IMG] Mine clearly have no inhibitions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by