Black Cayuga: Pets Ponds and Predators

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TwoMileRanch, May 13, 2009.

1. TwoMileRanch

TwoMileRanch Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2009
    Hi all, I'm new to the forum and need some newbie advice.

I acquired 4 Black Cayuga ducklings in February. I have raised pheasants and have also added chickens to my flock. Here's my question (or maybe it is questions)

I have a very nice 8 x 45 pen with netting for the roof to protect the ducks. They have a tiny pool. I also have a 1/2 acre pond. It is not possible or my desire to fence the pond.

I walked/herded the ducks to swim in the pond a few weeks ago. And after a few hours, it was relatively easy to herd them off as they were at the water's edge. They have now been to the pond several times, but each time, it is getting harder to get them off the water as they are more confident. The last times have resulted in my herding them with my rowboat to shore. Once out of the water, they walk pretty agreeably back to their pen.

Here's my questions: Is there a better way to train/ condition the ducks to come off the water? They have a pond full of food, so I'm not sure food is the answer?

Or: am I overly concerned about predators? Should I just let them overnight on the pond? I have significant numbers of skunk, raccoons, and hear coyotes....if the ducks would sleep in the water, they *might* be safe...on the edges I think they are just prey.

But enlighten me, make suggestions.

I think they would be fine in the pen all day every day - but seems a shame not to let them enjoy the pond.

Thank you!

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG] from Washington

Sorry I don't know anything about ducks. There should be someone along soon with an answer.

Imp

3. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I think about all you can do is fence in a small part of the pond, if that's even possible. I never used to worry about predators until an owl flew into our duck run and killed one of my Cayugas.

If you don't want to fence in part of your pond, try getting a kiddie pool for them to swim in.

4. CurlyLindsay

CurlyLindsay Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2009
    MO
    I've seen two duck house designs on ponds I liked:

1. A doghouse set on the shoreline, with fencing behind it and extending about 5-6 feet into the water. Ducks can get onto open water, but predators can't get them when the ducks are sleeping unless the animal can swim out into open water and around the fence.

2. Floating house. It was something like a little doghouse set on wood that was floating on styrofoam boat floats. I'm guessing it had some sort of anchor to keep it in the center of the pond during windy days. I'd hate to try to collect eggs from that one. [​IMG]

5. TwoMileRanch

TwoMileRanch Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2009
    Thanks all....

6. dkellyp

dkellyp New Egg

Oct 1, 2013
    I have a similar situation, I have 3 Cayuga ducks that are probably about 4 months old. they are currently living happily on my 1/2 acre pond which is in my sheep pasture. it is completely fenced but I still worry a little about predators. they have a dog igloo on the edge of the pond with some large rocks and tall grass for cover. I leave them out over night and so far so good. my question is, how will they do once the weather gets colder. we are in the Kankakee Illinois area a we will definitely get cold enough to freeze over. will the igloo be enough shelter? will they be able to get enough water? the pond is very deep (35 feet in the deepest part) so I know it won't freeze solid but how do ducks get water to drink in the wild during the winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by