Black Cecal Poop?

mojomaniac

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2021
Northern Utah
Should I be concerned about black cecal poop? I looked at the link of normal and abnormal poops that people share on here and couldn’t see anything like this.

My chicks are almost 6 weeks old and I’ve just started finding a little bit of poop like this in their brooder.

They eat chick starter and have chick grit available. I just switched brands from Dumor to Naturewise this week. They spend time during the day outside on the grass, and I haven’t been giving snacks.
48CD9336-A73A-4223-BA62-FC6455C202D5.jpeg

My chicks are 8 weeks and they've been solely in their brooder until last week when I started taking them outside tot he run during the day while we finish up the coop. From the time I started taking them outside, their cecal poops started looking exactly like your photo. Very dark in color. I wouldn't say it's black, but to me it looks very dark brown with maybe some green. I assumed this was from their new consumption of grasses, weeds, and outside stuff. Prior to taking them outside, their cecal poops were much lighter in brown color.

Did you notice this change when you started taking yours outside? Can anyone else confirm this? I just want to make sure I shouldn't be deworming them yet....

My chicks are 8 weeks and they've been solely in their brooder until last week when I started taking them outside tot he run during the day while we finish up the coop. From the time I started taking them outside, their cecal poops started looking exactly like your photo. Very dark in color. I wouldn't say it's black, but to me it looks very dark brown with maybe some green. I assumed this was from their new consumption of grasses, weeds, and outside stuff. Prior to taking them outside, their cecal poops were much lighter in brown color.

Did you notice this change when you started taking yours outside? Can anyone else confirm this? I just want to make sure I shouldn't be deworming them yet....
Yes, I noticed it when they started going outside. They seem totally fine still and the poop is not as dark. I think it was related to eating the grass. Good luck with your chickens!

Back
Top Bottom