1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

black chickens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by derrik38, Apr 30, 2007.

1. derrik38

derrik38 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2007
    i have 2 one month old chicks.ones all black think its the male because its about twice the size as the other.the other is black also but has some white on the front.the bigger one has hair on its leg.i looked at the brahams but it says something about the head being white. what kind ogf chicks mite they be? i live and bought them in south missouri.

2. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Could be a standard or giant Cochin. Without pics it's really hard to tell.

3. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    My all black chicken is a black-sex link I don't have any roosters but she thinks she's the cock of the walk.

4. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    My all black Chickens are Black Australorps.
    My girl rosa standing next to my Silver Spangled Hamburg Rooster This winter
    [​IMG]

5. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    If you got your chicks from a feed store, they usually have a poster hanging up somewhere showing the breeds that the hatchery raises. It becomes a guessing game if you got them from a swap or flea market. Sometimes the mixed-breed chicks don't look like either parent.
    Stephanie

6. Venumfire

Venumfire Just Hatched

May 20, 2016
    Please post photos. If they have feathers on their feet and are mostly black with a little white, they could be baby French Black Copper Marans.

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Determining breed without a picture is impossible.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    need photos

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by