Black chicks....Australorp, Sex link, Jersey Giant....??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NellaBean, Mar 22, 2009.

1. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Okay, so I got a couple black chicks from TSC last week. The girl at the store had no clue.....thought they were sexlink? Maybe? No idea...

Someone else mentioned Australorp chicks at TSC.

These are big vigorous chicks. They are friendlier than the others (although still seem to think I will EAT THEM when I go visit) and much more curious. As evidenced by putting my cellphone/camera down in the brooder.

What the heck are they?
    Pic from first day
    [​IMG]

4 days later....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Their toes are pink but their legs are dark. They are so cute! I went back a few days later and if it was not for the 6 chick minimum, would have bought the 2 black ones left. They are supposedly pullets. [​IMG]

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Looks like my australorp chicks

3. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

look alot like our Australorps... And ours are now almost 4 weeks old and they are extremely rambunctious!! Jumping, trying to fly..[​IMG]

4. crazychickengirl

crazychickengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Glenmont, Ohio
    I second that! I think they are Australorps! I got Australorps from TSC last year and that's what they looked like!

5. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2009
  6. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I can live with Australorps! They are already running and flapping their little wing stubs. Way more vigorous than the other 4. Much more friendly, no poopy butt problems. Way pushier [​IMG] and curious about what is going on.

I think they are adorable! I had not planned on getting any australorps, but you know....cute live baby chicks in the bin, how could I resist?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by