Black Cochin/Buff Orp crosses - Two more hatches this morning!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Okie Amazon, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Okie Amazon

Okie Amazon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    I have only a Black Cochin roo that is mature enough for breeding, my Buff roo is still a baby, so...... My BC roo has been breeding my BO hens, so I stuck a few eggs in the incubator to see how they would turn out. I had 3 babies hatch yesterday, probably be some more today. They look just like my 100% Cochin babies, with furry feet and all. Anyone ever had Cochin/Orp crosses and what did they look like at maturity?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  2. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    I don't, but I'd love to see what they look like! [​IMG] It sounds like a neat cross.

3. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    Crosses are always fun! I have a Cochin x Old English roo that hatched out early this spring. He's around 8 or 9 weeks old now, and has some feathers on his legs, but nowhere near as much as a full Cochin. I think the leg feathering will probably vary by bird, so you'll probably get some with fairly nice feathering and some with only a few feathers. My little roo's tail is also looking more like the Old English's than the Cochins; I was hoping he'd have a puff ball tail like the Cochin, but he's still cute.

You should post age progression pics of your chicks. I'm very interested to see how they mature.

4. Okie Amazon

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    I had two more hatch last evening. One of them has a little reddish color on his/her forehead area, but still full feathered legs and mostly black. I'll get some pics tonight and post tomorrow.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  5. Okie Amazon

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    Here are the babies!
    The blacks, although one of them at the back has a bit of gold on the head.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Goldface

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And lastly, little Goldilocks, who is giving me a pretty good stink-eye for such a wee one! "I just hatched, dang it! And already you're pestering me???"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Okie Amazon

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    Another blondie and a very odd color one this morning. Looks almost grey/blue. Interesting chicks. More pics Monday; I should have some more hatching over the weekend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by