Black Cochin/Buff Orp crosses - Two more hatches this morning!

Okie Amazon

Songster
8 Years
Mar 22, 2011
Midwest City
I have only a Black Cochin roo that is mature enough for breeding, my Buff roo is still a baby, so...... My BC roo has been breeding my BO hens, so I stuck a few eggs in the incubator to see how they would turn out. I had 3 babies hatch yesterday, probably be some more today. They look just like my 100% Cochin babies, with furry feet and all. Anyone ever had Cochin/Orp crosses and what did they look like at maturity?

Last edited:
I don't, but I'd love to see what they look like!
big_smile.png
It sounds like a neat cross.

Crosses are always fun! I have a Cochin x Old English roo that hatched out early this spring. He's around 8 or 9 weeks old now, and has some feathers on his legs, but nowhere near as much as a full Cochin. I think the leg feathering will probably vary by bird, so you'll probably get some with fairly nice feathering and some with only a few feathers. My little roo's tail is also looking more like the Old English's than the Cochins; I was hoping he'd have a puff ball tail like the Cochin, but he's still cute.

You should post age progression pics of your chicks. I'm very interested to see how they mature.

I had two more hatch last evening. One of them has a little reddish color on his/her forehead area, but still full feathered legs and mostly black. I'll get some pics tonight and post tomorrow.

Last edited:
Here are the babies!
The blacks, although one of them at the back has a bit of gold on the head.

cochin2.jpg

cochin3.jpg

The Goldface

cochin4.jpg

cochin5.jpg

And lastly, little Goldilocks, who is giving me a pretty good stink-eye for such a wee one! "I just hatched, dang it! And already you're pestering me???"

cochin6.jpg

cochin7.jpg

Another blondie and a very odd color one this morning. Looks almost grey/blue. Interesting chicks. More pics Monday; I should have some more hatching over the weekend.

Back
Top Bottom