Black cochin frizzles? Boys or girls?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sandh72, Jul 7, 2011.

1. sandh72

sandh72 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2010
    I have 2 chickens about 13 weeks old. Posted pics previously to find out what breed they were (thanks for all responses, by the way), the general consensus was that they were black cochin frizzle. My other half thinks that they have some Jersey Giant in them as they are very large for their age (they are already bigger than our silkies and wyandotte bantams and about equal in size to our aracuana) - does anyone

Now I'm asking whether we have girls or boys (or one of each). My instincts, from the moment of hatching, is that we have one of each. One (the frizzly one) has a much more pronounced comb and wattles than the other, I think the frizzly one is a boy but it's not easy to see how the tail feathers are developing! The other has a flat coat (dormant frizzle gene?) but less well developed comb and wattles so I think it's a girl. Both are fairly calm and gentle, given their size.

Does anyone agree with me or have I got it completely wrong? I'm fairly new to this and still find it hard to work out the sex. Any help gratefully appreciated.

1. this is the frizzly one I think is a boy
    [​IMG]

2. this is the flatcoat that I am hoping is a girl
    [​IMG]

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I'm sorry, I really have no idea. Looking at the comb and wattles on the frizzle, I would think its a boy. If they are large fowl cochins, that would explain why they are so much bigger than your other chickens. I think hens top out at about 8lbs and the roosters somewhere around 11. I have some 11 week old cochins that I've been questioning for a while. I posted in this section, and got some mixed opinions on them. Some thought they could be cockeral, others thought they could be fast developing pullets. Anyhoo- here are a few pics of my suspects just for comparisons sake:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If it makes you feel any better, your definately not the only one playing the waiting game. Good luck figuring them out!

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I am almost positive the smooth one is a girl. Not sure on the frizzle, but attitude looks boyish which doesnt mean very much in a cochin. Dont be surprised if the girl crows either. They sometimes do that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by