Black cochin potentially blind.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KristaChickenWhisperer, Jul 21, 2010.

1. KristaChickenWhisperer

KristaChickenWhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Lake Stevens, WA
    So my cochin has been acting kind of funny lately so today I decided to test a theory. I lunged at my small flock and all of them but her scattered. So I got close to her and waved my hand in front of her eyes and she didn't react. She also allows me to walk right up to her and pick her up without trying to run away. AND when I offered her some food in my hand she sort of felt around with her beak until she found the food.

Her eyes look perfectly healthy. No redness, no discharge and they aren't cloudy. I am just wondering what could be going on here. Is it possible she might be blind?

She is about seven weeks old.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  2. stoo

stoo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2010
    Hagerstown
    Is the iris gray in color? Marek's can cause gray iris - blind eye/s.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yes, it sounds like she may be blind. Try this - have someone hold her while you move a finger closer and closer to each eye in turn. See if she blinks.
    Surprisingly blind chickens can do fine as part of a flock. Just avoid startling her and avoid changing things around in the coop unless absolutely necessary, i.e., keep the food, water and roosts where she's used to them.
    My Lil'Bit has been partially blind since hatch (or shortly after) and seems to be losing the rest of her vision slowly. She manages well, even in my free range flock. Worst trouble she has is being able to see to get on a roost in the fading light at the end of the day.
    When she was little I took her out of the brooder once or twice a day for one-on-one feedings, because it takes her extra long to eat. As an adult it doesn't matter, because she has plenty of time to eat, but in the brooder a blind chick can get pushed away from the feeders alot.

4. Xanthro

Xanthro Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2010
    She could be blind, but as others have stated, blind hens do surprisingly well.

I have a naked neck that acts just like that. She never startles, I can pick her up at anytime, even when feeding. She doesn't react to things waving in front of her, but she can't be blind because she flies up to new roosts and will explore new areas if given the chance. She's just a really calm chicken. Oddly calm, it can be a bit weird.

5. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I have a blind chicken too. They do just fine. I keep the feed and water in the same place and make sure that I don't put anything new in the run or coop without "showing" her.

6. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I have a blind chicken she is the sweetest girl, she twist her head around like Stevie Wonder when i talk to her, she is great with baby chicks so when i have a hatch i put them in with her, she snuggles with them ,teaches them where the eats are with her air picken ways.LOL [​IMG].

I had a lone duckling so i placed it in with he they are best friends now.

Her name is Butter cause she melted my heart.

7. miladachicken

miladachicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2009
    Oregon
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    x

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  9. KristaChickenWhisperer

KristaChickenWhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Thank you so much for all the replies!!

I have been keeping an eye on her and I am almost positive its not Mareks. That was the first thing I was worried about but her eyes look perfectly normal.

I did end up trying the move my finger close to her eye and she didn't blink. She does however react when I get close enough to feel the warmth of my hand or if she hears it near her head.

So far she seems to be doing well. I think she just listens for the other chickens and goes where they go. And she is pretty plump so I know she is finding her food ok.

I have no intentions of moving things around in the coop however we are putting a wall up since my coop is half of my dad's camping/fishing gear storage shed (right now we are using an old dog pen as a wall). That's the only thing that will be different. Other than that the food will be back in the same place and the roost will remain where it is also.

I am so glad to hear that she should do fine. And I am going to make sure of it too!!

Thanks again for all the replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by