Black comb and legs? What breed is she?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Corey NC, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    I havea young chick that is all black, black feathers, black comb, and black legs. At first I thought it was a black sex-link but it doesn't have the usual redishness on the chest but it does have a little bit of white. It came in a heavy layer assortment from Meyer hatchery so let mek now what you think. I can get a better pic tommorrow this one is when it was about 2 weeks old.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  2. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    Black Australorp or Jersey Giant?
    Maybe?

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
  4. Corey NC

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    The sumantra doesn't have a single comb like this chick. The australorps combs are red and the chicks have white and yellow fluff on it, my chick was totally black when I got it.

I guess it could be a jersey giant but the combs still look different.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It looks alot like my black jersey giants did when they were small but I really can't say for sure.

6. wclawrence

wclawrence Chillin' With My Peeps

pick the bird up and see if it has black skin. it may be something the hatchery is working on. there are a few folks around trying to recreate the Ayam Cemani. It may be an attempt at that. Is is gypsy faced or is it fibromelanotic, I guess is what I am asking.
    I have some Tomaru, they are gypsy faced like a sumatra. I also have some silkie crosses that are black in the face, but it is different.

7. Corey NC

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    Here are some more pics, she is about 5ish weeks old. The skin beneath the feathers is pinkish white.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. wclawrence

I bet a dollar the black in the comb will go away when the bird is a little older.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  9. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    I believe someone was saying something about a plain white toe = jersey giant. I think that is a jersey giant.

And I bet $10 [​IMG]

10. wclawrence

as far as feather coloring goes, I think she is birchen.
    That is, silver is the color, birchen is the e-allele.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by