Black comb, black beak, buff breast w/ black spangles?

BeakSanctuary

Songster
11 Years
Aug 31, 2008
I know it's a bit tacky not posting a picture yet, but my camera is so lousy that I haven't taken the picture for this purpose yet. She came from McMurray as a brown egg layer, or maybe she was a free chick and nothing I knew about getting. Now she's several months old and has gotten so nice looking that I wonder what she is - Easter Egger? Sorry, I don't know what kind of eggs she lays, if she lays any yet. Repeat - black comb (rather small, maybe single/rose comb), black beak, really pretty spangle pattern on chest. Top/sides have some penciling or lacing in the buff color against black feathers, if I remember correctly.

Does the type jump out at anyone? She's definitely one of my prettiest hens now but hey, compared to my 8 NN hens, not so hard being the prettiest, lol. I hope she's rare or exotic - my luck is that she's EE. One thing is, she isn't mixed because she's the first generation out of the hatchery.

I notice that the black stars I have have black combs/black beaks, but they have a different breast marking - more or less the reverse of this.

flyingmonkeypoop

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 30, 2007
Deer Park Washington
If she has a single comb it sounds like a black sexlink. Alot of the black sexlinks I have seen have black faces. They can be solid black or gold with some black in the belly and back area.

Alleychick

Songster
11 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Northern Indiana
sounds a black sex link. i have 4 and my girls are so pretty. The have alot of gold on the backs and chest, and some green in there tail feathers.

BeakSanctuary

Songster
11 Years
Aug 31, 2008
Thanks. That's probably what she is, since I have a few from the same order that look exactly what the black stars seem to look like - mostly black with some gold flecks around the neck.

BeakSanctuary

Songster
11 Years
Aug 31, 2008
This is the girl of whom I speak: I have to take it back about her having a black comb, as she clearly doesn't!

Is she just a black star/black sexlink?

BeakSanctuary

Songster
11 Years
Aug 31, 2008
Thanks! I also believe that's true, she's pretty with spangles.

So, is there a buff kind of sexlink, like this? Not that I've heard of one. I received several unknown varieties and I still wonder what they are. Maybe EE? In my grab-bag, would be surprising if I didnt get an EE, though I don't know if I have one.

Top Bottom