black comb on cochin bantam rooster?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jenlynn4, Jan 5, 2011.

1. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    He got in a fight with another roo a couple weeks ago and now his comb has turned black! What do I do? Just leave it alone? will it hurt him? I just dont know. Any help would be appreciated! JEN

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    A pic and some more info would be very helpful in this case. Is it scabbed? Is it infected? Is it frostbitten? Did it get partially torn off? Open wounds? Bruising? Any other signs of illness?

3. jenlynn4

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    He is acting fine, His comb got pecked at when he flew out of his pen and ended up in the pen next door. Hubby said it wasnt torn but scratched up and bleeding. Now it has turned black. It is really cold here could it be frostbite? I will try to get a pic this weekend when I am off work. JEN

4. Stephi ann

Stephi ann New Egg

Jan 5, 2011
    sounds like frostbite. Or a scab. My hen used to get black spots on her comb from jumping and hitting the screen on top of her box. If so I just used some neosporin once a day on it and she was fine. Frostbite you can rub some vasoline on the comb and wattles to prevent it next time.

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    It could very well be frostbite, but it could also be scabbed. Either way it will likely be OK. Apply Neosporin and monitor it for signs of infection. If it is frostbite the blackened areas may slough off as they heal. Nothing to worry about if that happens. It is expected.

Good luck.

6. jenlynn4

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    thank you all I am on my way out to check on him now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by