Black comb

530-69

In the Brooder
Jan 24, 2019
I have a hen whose comb has turned very dark, very nearly black. We have not had a freeze yet this year and I am totally at a loss of what is going on. Anyone have any ideas?

Can you post a picture? Comb color is directly related to circulation... but without pics it’s hard to suggest because it could be a number of different things.

I can take a picture but am not at all tech savvy! Don't know if I can figure out how to post it. Also, didn't think to mention that all the girls are molting, but have not had this with molting before. Going to take her picture...

Whew! Did I really figure this out? I can see the pictures from my end; hope you can from there! The photos don't show very well but two other points of her comb has the dark tips and there are dark lines thru the comb up more toward the top. Don't know if you can tell from her posture, she is not feeling herself today. Has not been eating well but none of them have since the molt started. I did get some hemp seeds down everyone last eve except for this one. She wasn't very interested. Thank you for your interest!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1756.JPG
    IMG_1756.JPG
    483.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1757.JPG
    IMG_1757.JPG
    444.9 KB · Views: 26
That bird looks sick... have you checked her crop or her vent? Her comb should be standing straight up and be red.... in the pic it looks like she is standing weird... is she standing like a penguin and pumping her tail up and down? The first thing I would do is separate her from the flock.

How old is she?

Your bird is sick, and she is fluffing up, to maintain her warmth, due to her lowered metabolic energy levels because of lack of eating.

It would be best to move her inside into a warm, towel-lined area with feed and water provided. You can try offering scrambled eggs, or soupy feed often. I would try dripping a poultry vitamin along her beak, or sugar water to keep her somewhat hydrated, and get some vitamins in her.

After she has had time to acclimate to her surroundings, I would take her out, and gently check her crop, and see if it feels soft, hard, firm, do that again in the morning, it should be empty. I would also gently feel her abdominal area and see if it feels bloated, hard, etc. Check around the vent area, etc.

Reproductive problems such as egg binding can cause a penguin-like stance, reduced respiration, lethargy, abdominal distention, etc. Other reproductive problems such as Egg yolk peritonitis can cause increased body pressure in the body due to the build-up of fluids in the abdominal area, which can affect proper breathing, and may cause a discolored comb.

Pictures of her feces on towels would be good too.

That bird looks sick... have you checked her crop or her vent? Her comb should be standing straight up and be red.... in the pic it looks like she is standing weird... is she standing like a penguin and pumping her tail up and down? The first thing I would do is separate her from the flock.
Sorry to be so long to respond. I failed to mention that she sustained an injury when they were first getting acclimated to a new coop. She was frightened by a visiting dog and ran under the coop which was lower than her head and she ripped her comb partially off. We were able to save it but it didn't grow back just right, thus the flopping. All my chickens have always changed comb colors thru shades of pink and red throughout the day.. Hers was red later in the day that same day. Seems to be influenced by how warm they are and yesterday was our coldest morning yet and came on pretty suddenly after days in the seventies. All the girls are fluffed and slow moving; I just assume everyone is needing to adjust to our crazy weather here. I'm not familiar with penguin stance but I searched for pix and that doesn't look to me like her stance - her bottom is not close to the ground at all. Her crop feels fine to me, as well as her belly. Her vent looks dry but none of the girls have been laying since molting started. And actually, after I was out of town for a couple of weeks. Wasn't sure about bringing her inside for the night because she will have another tough adjustment when she goes back out. We have a week of this weather then back in the 70's again. She is eating hemp seeds and tomato quite well as long as I'm feeding her; doesn't touch the feeders outside now tho. I have really enjoyed spoiling my babies! She is drinking water outside. Her stool was loose yesterday but I had given her tomato so didn't really think anything about it. No particular color that I remember. Didn't know there were specific vitamins for chickens; do you recommend a certain one? Will go out this afternoon to pick up some. I feel like I am trying to bury my head in the sand or be disagreeable, but I really don't mean to be. I'm just very puzzled. Oh, she is 2 1/2 years old.
Thank you so much for your attempts to help!!!

Actually, I will bring her inside. That will give us an opportunity to get a positive on her stool color. Thanks again!

She has been inside with me and her droppings appear to be totally liquid and very nearly clear. She is still eating for me tho not as much as she should be. She holds out to be hand fed. She is drinking water. But still not much energy - just sits or stands around. What do you think of adding colloidal silver to her water?

She has been inside with me and her droppings appear to be totally liquid and very nearly clear. She is still eating for me tho not as much as she should be. She holds out to be hand fed. She is drinking water. But still not much energy - just sits or stands around. What do you think of adding colloidal silver to her water?
I use rooster booster vitamins with electrolytes.

Back
Top Bottom