Black comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bantymama, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Bantymama

Bantymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    MN
    His comb has black on it. Any ideas. He seems healthy and active.

[​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Looks like frost bite. Is it freezing? If so, put some ointment on it and eventually the points will fall off. Try to make sure it doesn't get infected.

3. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I'd say frostbite. My SF roo has this and we've gone to putting bag balm on it a couple times a week. I was told (don't know if it's true) that if you let the comb get too frostbitten and infected, they go sterile. Don't know what to think of that, but it's a good idea to try to prevent the frostbite anyway.

4. Bantymama

Bantymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    MN
    It is cool here. It is 16 now. I also have them in pen with 2 heating lamps on them. It stays warm in there and my eggs do not freeze. He is the only one with it. I thought it might be something worse. I will put something on it and keep an eye on him. Thanks

5. Buster

Buster Back to Work

My roo is the only one w/ frostbite too- I think it's because they're combs are so much bigger

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

As for going sterile... that's a myth in my book. However, if the frost bite gets infected, and gangrene sets in, they can die if it goes septic.

7. Buster

Buster Back to Work

thought it was a myth, but knew I should treat it so he's healthy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by