1. sarah fairbanks

sarah fairbanks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2009
    I have a rooster, Joe, that up until recently he has been the king of his castle and now, his comb has turned completely black and he just doesn't seemself, I live in Maine, could he have frost bite or is it worse than that? He is still eating and drinking but isn't like he usually is. He is about 4 or 5 years old.
    Any suggestions would be very helpful.
    PS: if the cure has anything to do with bringing him inside, I will have to pass on that one, I already have one of my other hens living in the dining room and the husband isn't really keen on this, she has been in here for a loing time (since about June) and when ever I try to put her back into the coop she is bleeding within minutes, so she lives inside so that would be out for Joe, unfortunately.
    Thanks cold chix in Maine

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. sarah fairbanks

sarah fairbanks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2009
    The coop is insulated, there is not any moisute on the windows and the water doesn't freeze but what can I do for him? Any suggestions would be helpfull. We have had chickns since we moved here 8 years ago and this is the first time I ahve had anything like this

4. dweder

dweder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Glen Ellyn, Illinois
    Ive been curing a frostbitten comb with neosporin. Ive been putting it on every night for the last three days and things are looking much better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by