1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. Chickenman9249

Chickenman9249 New Egg

Jan 8, 2014
    A couple of days ago I noticed that my rooster had some black on his waddle ...and I thought it was just dirt ... but .. then a couple of more days later I noticed that he had a black stripe on his comb. I want to know what this is[​IMG]. If you know anything, just send a message. Thanks

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. A picture would help. Are you in a very cold area where frostbite is common right now? Wattles can freeze from water touching them, then cold air hitting them. Combs freeze easily in sub-zero weather.

3. Chickenman9249

Chickenman9249 New Egg

Jan 8, 2014
    Well its 40 degrees Fahrenheit right now. north Alabama.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    There can be peck wounds on combs and wattles, fowl pox, and a number of other problems like fungus infections that can cause black areas. Posting a picture would be easier to give you help.

5. Chickenman9249

Chickenman9249 New Egg

Jan 8, 2014
    Well I cant right now but I will tomorrow.

6. Chickenman9249

Chickenman9249 New Egg

Jan 8, 2014
    [​IMG]see the black?

7. Chickenman9249

Chickenman9249 New Egg

Jan 8, 2014
    Someone help

8. lovingmyhens

lovingmyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2013
    Katy, tx
    I can't help with an answer but try putting 'black strip on comb' in the search bar. While you wait for an answer you can see if anyone else has had this issue. Looks weird to be frostbite. But I am not an expert! I hope someone replies soon

9. ChicknsRock

ChicknsRock Overrun With Chickens

Oct 4, 2013
    That is frostbite. Put some virgin organic coconut oil on it. Do not put Vaseline on it. That will inhibit healing.

10. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I agree that it looks like some frostbite damage, but the damage does not seem too severe and the comb may fully recover without losing any tips. It depends on whether or not his body can restore blood flow to the tissue before necrosis sets in. However, some of the tips may dry up and fall off. This should not cause any issues, but of course always monitor for infections.

I agree that Vaseline will inhibit healing at this point, but in the future I have found it to be an effective way to prevent frostbite if you know cold weather is coming.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by