1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black comb???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RoxyOtis, Aug 31, 2008.

1. RoxyOtis

RoxyOtis Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Modesto, CA
    Can anybody tell what breeed my chicken is?? She has a black comb and legs. I have never seen another chicken with a black comb. I got her 2 years ago and she was already full grown, so she could be older. She is a great layer, laying everyday or every other day.

Here are some pics of her......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. minifarm8

minifarm8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Hagerstown, MD
    Silkies have black legs and combs. I have 2 we hatched that do not have the silkie feathers. I assume they are a silkie cross. Could be a possibility.

3. chickenbike

chickenbike Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry I can't help you, but she is a beautiful hen. I hope someone with greater knowledge may have an answer for you.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

With that face, I also say silkie mix.

5. RoxyOtis

RoxyOtis Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Modesto, CA
    Thats good to know, I thought she was sick, having a black comb. But I am glad she is ok!! YAY, I think she is beautiful.[​IMG]

6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

LOL that is a very interesting chicken! Very adorable! It's a keeper. I just got silkies and it's so strange seeing their black combs.

7. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    She is a silkie cross.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by