black combs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cmercer, Jan 11, 2014.

1. cmercer

cmercer New Egg

Jan 11, 2014
    We just got our chickens on December 7th. I have two heat lamps going since the weather has been soo cold. Now my rooster has black combs...what should I do?

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Black combs is frostbite. You need more ventilation in your coop. I personally don't heat my coop and yes, the rooster gets some frostbite but we've had three nights -20F already. At those temps the larger combs will get a touch of frozen. With heat lamps your raising the humidity and allowing frostbite to occur at any temp below freezing. If your bedding is damp then change it and get more ventilation in the coop. I'm not a proponent of heating but if you choose to know your birds wont go outside much and are in fact more susceptible to excessive moisture-frostbite.

3. cmercer

cmercer New Egg

Jan 11, 2014
    Thank you....should we put vaseline on his combs....or is it too late...

4. Cooper Farms

Cooper Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    new sharon ia
    Putting some on now will keep it from getting worse. I also pit it on there wadle

5. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    You might want to try bag balm in the place of vasoline. It seems to absorb into the skin better.bag balm can be found at most feed stores and was first made for the sore utters of cows.its great stuff and I think it's better than vasoline.it comes in a green jar.hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by