1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Cooper Maran??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chicnchsr, May 9, 2011.

1. chicnchsr

chicnchsr Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2011
    I got this chick a little over a week ago, so it is supposed to be between 2-3 weeks old now. I was told it is a black cooper maran, but I am noticing the feathers are black and white. Is that normal for the black ones to have white on their feathers at this age, or is this chick something else entirely? She also had some splash marans, so I wondered if she just got them mixed up and sold me them instead of the black ones. Or if it isn't really a maran at all. I have two more from her that look just like it. One of them has substantially less black, but it has not feathered out nearly as much yet (suspect it might be a roo). Any thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The mystery chicks- I think I have 2 welsummers and 3 marans (fingers crossed):
    [​IMG]

2. Kbagwell1

Kbagwell1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    That is 100% a Barred Rock chick!! I have tons of them and yours look exactly like mine!!!!

Don't know about the brown chicks though....

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  3. chicnchsr

Mar 5, 2011
    O no!! I hope not!!! I paid too much for them to be barred rocks!!! And I already have barred rocks...grr!

4. srpaint

srpaint Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Illinois
    I say barred rock too! Looks JUST like my 9. They are the same age. 2 1/2 weeks.

5. wingsofglory

wingsofglory Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Palmer Alaska
    Maybe its a cuckoo marans?

6. jadeybaby70

jadeybaby70 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2009
    Alameda
    Any possibility they could be cuckoo Marans chicks??

7. chicnchsr

Mar 5, 2011
    She did have cuckoo marans--not splash. For some reason I always get those two confused. I like the idea of them being cuckoo marans better than BR. Don't get me wrong, I love my BR's, but I had my heart set on a maran!

8. Ivywoods

Ivywoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Hiawatha, KS
    I don't know if it's barred rock, cuckoo marans or what, but it definitely not a black copper marans. If it has some BCM in it, it is not "pure."

9. allenlighthouse

allenlighthouse Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2008
    Lewes, Delaware
    They are cuckoo marans

10. Caddy-Corner-Chick

Caddy-Corner-Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2011
    Hernando, FL
    I hope it's a Marans for you, but yep not a BC Marans.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by