Black Cooper Marans and Blue Marans

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by DeltaBluezTess, Feb 8, 2013.

1. DeltaBluezTess

DeltaBluezTess Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    Carnation, WA
    My Coop
    Hi Ya'll

I just recently obtain some Black Cooper Marans (5 hens and one rooster) from Wade Jean and Bev Davis lines. They are 3.5 months old.

I also have two Blue Marans. They are laying very dark eggs.

What lines should I avoid?

Any of you folks breed/raise the Marans? any tips and what to avoid?

Diane

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Make certain your shanks are well feathered, look for brown fluff on the hens underside, they lay darker eggs.
    When they are chicks, make certain that all of the toes are completely separate.
    Bishop's chickens has some great Marans. So does Renee (ChooksChicks)

I only have one BCMaran hen now, but I do have a Blue Marans pullet that should start laying this summer.

I also have a Blue Copper Olive egger... she lays Gorgeous Olive eggs... Her daddy was a BWAmeraucana and mom was a dark egg laying BCM.

3. DeltaBluezTess

Feb 5, 2013
    Carnation, WA
    My Coop
    Thanks for the tips...I will take a look at my chicks...at what age will the feathers show up on the legs?

Anyone in WASH state raises Marans?

What lines are good lines and which ones to avoid.

4. DeltaBluezTess

Feb 5, 2013
    Carnation, WA
    My Coop
    I just got back and now hav 8 BCM chicks (well six will be mine and 1-2 wil be for my friend)

Saw the parents....fathers on the shanks, the eggs were all deep, dark brown. He said they are from Ray Valentine lines. He also told me how the eggs get dark and some Maran lay lighter eggs and avoid them. His hens are a deep glossy black and some had a little copper on the neck. i got to see his egg hatching setup and the eggs he was hatching were a nice dark, deep brown.

He hand picked the chicks for me, toes all ok, feathers on legs, fat and lively. They are now being raised my by Silkie hen.....

I think I am going to have fun!

Added: How wild is this?...A fellow board member "Eagle2026" is who I got the chicks from.....small world. He is awesome and has a nice setup and beautiful Marans!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by