Black Copper French Marans... please tell me this isn't 5 roos?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by yeswehave8, Aug 15, 2014.

1. yeswehave8

yeswehave8 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2014
    We bought these "girls" at 10-12 weeks of age. We were only looking for hens as we want them for laying. We are very new to this and have had a rough go after losing all but one to a predator the second night and having to replace them after re-inforcing the tractor.

The older they get, the prettier they are... except for one who is being picked on (feathers being plucked). I think she is the only hen based on my very limited knowledge and reading online, but I'd love to hear I am wrong. They are 16-18 weeks old now, have not heard any crowing, but one has a deeper voice for sure.

"Big Bertha" is in the first pic.... biggest bird we have, not as bright coloring as the others, but thick legs and huge. This is the one with the deeper voice.

The others are so busy and starting to look a lot of like (actually there are 2 and 2 that are so similar that I'm having a hard time telling them apart. I did NOT get a picture of the one I am fairly certain is female, but she is the smallest by far and not as colorful.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I see all roosters, sorry.

Hate to say it, but at 10 weeks, a breeder of this breed would have had a really good idea who was a cockerel. If you bought them as pullets, you need to contact the seller and have them make it right for you.

3. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    Yup all roos

4. ashtree

ashtree Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2014
    oklahoma hills
    X2 10 weeks is plenty old, 1 wrong I understand but 4 or 5??? I hope you can trade some in!

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Some chicken traders are getting just as bad as horse traders..........

6. yeswehave8

Aug 13, 2014
    Thanks everyone, for confirming what I already believed. I asked my husband to message the breeder. The guy said he'd trade out any roos.... I am just not having a lot of confidence with him right now when 5 of 6 were roos. Even in a blind pick the odds would be 50-50. 5 out of 6?! Ugh!

And they are beautiful, but will eventually be squabbling and crowing, right?

7. chickenneighbor

chickenneighbor Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Maine
    Of course, the other option is to get 25-30 hens to go with the boys! You know, chicken math!;)

8. yeswehave8

Aug 13, 2014
    As I live smack dab in the middle of town and in a neighborhood, I don't think 30+ chickens would go over well! ;) Now if we ever got the acreage in the country we've been wanting, we'd be just fine with that.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Not only that, but your poor single hen's life will be pretty miserable with 5 testosterone filled cockerels and she's the only outlet available.

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    All roosters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by