Black Copper Maran 2 week old

hypnozze

Songster
Apr 11, 2018
Latvia, Europe
Hello everyone!

I have raised several Speckled Sussex chicks and could tell their gender by comparing them to each other but this time I have got myself only one Black Copper Maran chick which is 2 weeks old at the moment and I can't find similar images of other chicks this age. I am really hoping for a hen because the egg this chick hatched out of was super dark. :)

Can You please help me identify the gender?

IMG_20190714_200248.jpg

IMG_20190714_200314.jpg

IMG_20190714_200352.jpg

IMG_20190714_200416.jpg

IMG_20190714_200438.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190714_200251.jpg
    IMG_20190714_200251.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 8
Hi there, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

For informational purposes, Marans is always said with the S at the end like the town the hale from in France, whether a single bird or many. ;)

In person and with others, sometimes I can determine gender OF BOYS at 1 day old... even in Silkies. But I agree without behavioral indicators and comparisons from the same line and age, two weeks is too young for any of us to even make an educated guess as there simply aren't any signs.

We always presume cockerel until proven innocent. Less disappointment that way. I would guess boy, based on wattle development, noting I don't actually see ANYTHING yet.

So if it is a cockerel and you decide to keep it... he WILL pass his lovely egg color on to his female offspring, if the hens are brown or white layers. And they would get olive colored if bred to true blue egger.

Agreed, most boys will be showing signs around 4 weeks in this breed. I love both genders they are great birds. :love

Hi there, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

For informational purposes, Marans is always said with the S at the end like the town the hale from in France, whether a single bird or many. ;)

In person and with others, sometimes I can determine gender OF BOYS at 1 day old... even in Silkies. But I agree without behavioral indicators and comparisons from the same line and age, two weeks is too young for any of us to even make an educated guess as there simply aren't any signs.

We always presume cockerel until proven innocent. Less disappointment that way. I would guess boy, based on wattle development, noting I don't actually see ANYTHING yet.

So if it is a cockerel and you decide to keep it... he WILL pass his lovely egg color on to his female offspring, if the hens are brown or white layers. And they would get olive colored if bred to true blue egger.

Agreed, most boys will be showing signs around 4 weeks in this breed. I love both genders they are great birds. :love

Thanks for the tip on the name! :) And, yes I am really enjoying this place - I get a lot of useful information here, mostly by browsing and searching old posts and articles.

I guess I'll have to wait until 4 weeks before knowing for sure. And unfortunately - keeping a male is not an option, I only wanted to keep one Marans hen for brown egg production together with my flock of Speckled Sussex, so only Speckled Sussex roosters will be kept here in order to hatch purebred chicks..

This chick seems really calm, I would want to keep him either way though :)

I have two that kept me going back and forth to who was the boy or the girl and at the end I had it backwards. Very unpredictable. But I love my giant. She’s the sweetest chicken in the flock. She won’t peck the baby chicks around her. She only cares about eating and laying eggs. Pay attention to the feathering. The boys feather slower than the girls specially the top of the wings. That’s what learned with muy. Enjoy. He/she it really cute

Back
Top Bottom