1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Copper Maran chick - getting kinda worried she is he - thoughts?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by franklinchickens, May 9, 2011.

1. franklinchickens

franklinchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Ivy is 5 or so weeks old now and has a much more developed comb than any of my other chicks (a buff orpington, red sexlink & polish), is taller and lankier than the others, and has started jumping on top of the other chicks. Not aggressive but very assertive. This may just be what marans look like at this age though, not having had one before. I've never had a roo and am really hoping she isn't as my daughter picked her out herself from a big tub of marans. She was the smallest so we hoped she'd be a she. Any thoughts on this or is it just too early to tell?
    [​IMG]

2. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Definitely a little boy.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:x2

4. Heckel's Hens

Heckel's Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Southern VA
    Yeppers. BOY!

5. franklinchickens

May 19, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Drat - I was getting really suspicious the older she/he got. Ivy just didn't look or act like any of my other chicks from last year or this. Thanks . . . time to find Ivy a new home as we can't have roosters. Anyone in Middle TN want a Black Copper Maran roo???

6. ellieroo

ellieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Craigslist ad and poof he'll be gone ! [​IMG]

7. franklinchickens

May 19, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    @ellieroo that's what I was thinking - just want to be sure he doesn't get eaten! He is a 'purebred' (if that is the right term) so maybe if he grows up with good characteristics, someone would want him for that. We're going to hold out for a while still - talked with the breeder and he says to wait a bit as he's had experience with some that appear to be one and turn out to be the other. We've got the room right now and it isn't a problem so we'll see what happens. Not holding my breath though!

8. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    Yup, "Ivy" is an "Ivar". Very easy to rehome on CL.

9. franklinchickens

May 19, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Well, Ivy turned into Alvin and is now at his new home. Luckily I have a friend who was looking to start breeding marans so she's thrilled and so I am I that he'll have a good life with his new flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by