Black Copper Maran coloring

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Wellsken, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Wellsken

Wellsken Chirping

Mar 29, 2018
    Burley Idaho
    I am currently hatching some black copper Maran eggs. Is it possible that the chicks have a lot of yellow down, or if they do, have I got mixed breed eggs? On of the first two to hatch is almost fifty-fifty yellow and black. Wondering If I got duped when I bought my eggs.

drumstick diva and chonsey like this.
  2. junebuggena

junebuggena Crowing

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Pics? They should be mostly black, with white/yellow through the throat and belly.

3. oregonkat

oregonkat Crowing

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    My Marans usually have some pale yellow and white on their chest, a little on the face and sometimes on their bellies. I have found that the chicks that are all black on the face make the most beautiful pullets (assuming they are girls). 2 of my productive hens are almost all black with one with very light coppering on the neck but my other, she is pure black and lays me the most beautiful dark brown egg. My treasure, Ebony! I love all my BCM chickens though. I doubt you got duped with the eggs. Post some pics. for us to look at but don't be discouraged, not yet!

4. Wellsken

Wellsken Chirping

Mar 29, 2018
    Burley Idaho
    image.jpeg

5. Wellsken

Wellsken Chirping

Mar 29, 2018
    Burley Idaho
    I hatched out fourteen bcm eggs last year, when they were around eight weeks old, had a skunk get into them and killed them all. A month later, I caught the bugger in my hen house. Needless to say, he won't get my chicks this year.

drumstick diva, Eryniel and chonsey like this.
  6. oregonkat

oregonkat Crowing

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    I would say you have yourself a lovely little BCM fuzzy right there. Nice looking eggs, btw. Congratulations! These are amongst my favorite chickens!! :love:love

7. X_and_Z

X_and_Z Chirping

Feb 16, 2018
    SF Bay Area
    My Coop
  8. oregonkat

oregonkat Crowing

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    I suppose I should ask about the legs. Lightly feathered I assume?

chonsey likes this.
  9. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! Free Ranging

Jun 9, 2017
    NW Missouri
    Not all Marans are feathered. French are, American aren't.

10. X_and_Z

X_and_Z Chirping

Feb 16, 2018
    SF Bay Area
    My Coop
    Outside of cuckoo marans, are there that many marans varieties that are not typically feather footed? The Marans Club of America has a bit of info regarding the history of cuckoo marans and the leg/foot feathering (standard calls for feathering):

http://www.maransofamericaclub.com/cuckoo-marans.html

Excerpt about cuckoo marans:

"The cuckoo Marans was the only variety in the U.S.until the last few years....The Hopkins Marans were feather shanked and the Fitch Marans were clean shanked so the off spring were both clean and feather shanked birds."

Which makes it sound like this is only a cuckoo marans issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: