black copper maran egg not hatching?

Eggcellent Adventure

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 27, 2011
Hi,

Our first hatch (very exciting)! We have a mini brinsea. Our 2 polish eggs hatched this morning. They both pipped yesterday. Our BCM egg, hasn't pipped yet. Today is the due date so still early, but wondering - do smaller eggs hatch sooner? The polish were MUCH smaller than the BCM. I read somewhere that BCM have more trouble hatching sometimes? Is that true, any experience with BCM. Our fingers are crossed! Thanks!!!

A problem that comes to mind with smaller eggs is that since the surface area is greater then larger eggs, water evaporates faster. If you're humidity was too high for the smaller eggs, you could have some shrink wrapping going on with the chicks. By smaller, I mean banty sized compared to standard.

For some reason marans have thicker shells and it does make it difficult for the chicks to hatch. A friend hatches them all the time and has said the same thing as others on here about the marans

Marans do not have thicker shells. The problem with them is that the dark color makes it harder for the egg to lose moisture/air cell to get bigger. This results in the chicks drowning when they pip into the air cell. I have a lot of trouble hatching my BCM's eggs, sometimes they hatch real well and other times I'm lucky to get 1. You could 'pip' the air cell end and see if the chick has at least internally pipped, just be sure to cover your pip with something if it hasn't. I've been told that some Marans take longer to hatch (22-23 days) but I've not had any late hatchers. They just get too wet from their eggs not being able to evaporate like the others.

Have you tried dry hatching Marans eggs? It really improved my hatch rate on both Marans and Ameraucana/ EE eggs. Not so many drowned chicks. But... if you have other eggs in the bator, my experience is they are gonna shrink wrap on ya. I now hatch Marans and blue/green eggs separately and use dry hatch. Other eggs I hatch 35 and 65. Learned my lesson there.

Sorry for the misinformation I was just relaying what I was told and what I have read. Thanks for setting me straight
hide.gif

hi
if it dosent hatch my friend had the same problem with his but we think it was from when he turned them because he had to open the incubator to do it. we think they might of got a chill and they died.
sad.png

hope yours went alright and it hatched.

Back
Top Bottom