Black Copper Maran egg tint darkness!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Sue1954, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Sue1954

Sue1954 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2013
    Do BCM eggs start out lighter when the hen first starts laying as in other breeds? Has anyone every got a dark tent on the first few BCM eggs?

2. Sue1954

Jul 10, 2013
    Also about what age did your BCM hens start to lay?

3. DallasCriftins

DallasCriftins Chillin' With My Peeps

The darkest eggs are laid first and get lighter over the season as the pigment begins to run out.
    not sure if that applies to pullets though but I would imagine it would, just that like all pullets, the first eggs will be smaller.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Eggs are darkest to start with, they lighten throughout the laying cycle and my understanding is the latter cycles aren't as dark as the first.

5. Sue1954

Jul 10, 2013
    Thanks, that is in reverse than I what I was expecting! I'll be watching for those first chocolate eggs!

6. Sue1954

Jul 10, 2013
    our best Maran eggs which took the blue at the county fair and also the blue at the district fair! [​IMG]

7. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    In my experience there is no set pattern for which color Dark or lighter for the first eggs. I have seen some lay two or three eggs at the start that are a little lighter and then start laying the Darker eggs. If you plan on hatching your eggs only set the eggs that are at least a Four on the Marans Chart. If you develop your own line and do not bring in Marans from another source , each year they will get darker if you only set the Dark eggs.

If you have dark egg layers you most likely will have Marans lacking in others areas with the type for one thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by