Black Copper Maran from Meyers Hatchery

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickens_in_fallriver, Sep 29, 2011.

1. chickens_in_fallriver

chickens_in_fallriver Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2011
    I have a small flock of less then 10 birds. I have been wanting to add a Black Copper Maran due to its dark color egg. They are not easy to come by and I just don't have the room to incubate 12 dozen.

I have read that if you want a Black Copper Maran you should get a Bev Davis or Wade Jeanie Lines.

When I was reading Meyers Hatchery's description on there Black Copper Maran, it say they come from the Bev Davis or Wade Jeanie Lines. Do you think that they have maintained the quality in those lines? Has anyone recently purchased a BCM from Meyers? And how was the egg color? Pictures would be great.

Meyers Description.
    Marans originated in western France in a town by the same name and are known for one thing- their dark brown eggs. Black Copper Marans eggs are even darker than other Marans breeds. As with all dark brown egg layers, the eggs are the darkest at the beginning of the laying cycle. The eggs will lighten slightly then return to darkest color after a period of rest. Black Copper Marans do well on free range as they do not cause as much damage through heavy scratching. These feathered legged birds are fast growers and make a good duel purpose breed. Our breeders originated from Bev Davis and Wade Jeane lines.

Due to the 3 chick minimum, I also purchased two Polish's.

I look forward to your comments.

David R.

2. chickens_in_fallriver

Jul 13, 2011
    No one has purchased a BCM from Meyers............

3. VelvettFog

VelvettFog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    Quote:None of the 40 or so folks who have read this post in the last 7 or 8 hours ....

[​IMG]

4. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Perhaps you could try posting your question on one of the many Marans threads ("Breeds, Genetics & Showing") and see if that gets a response.

Good luck!!

5. CarrieW

CarrieW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Durango, CO
    I ordered 6 BCM pullets from Meyers that hatched on May 23. 2 ended up being roosters, and one died the day they arrived. But the 3 pullets are nice big birds with lightly feathered legs. I'm not real happy about the 2 roosters, you would think that at 10 bucks a chick, they would be a little more careful. They haven't laid yet, but when they do, I will let you know what the egg color is like!

6. chickens_in_fallriver

Jul 13, 2011
    Quote:Thank you for your feed back. These chicks are always in high demand. I would of thought more people would of commented.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by