Black Copper Maran Hatching Help Needed

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by laceyyates, Sep 9, 2016.

1. laceyyates

laceyyates Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2016
    This is my first time hatching (I know - probably the wrong breed for a newbie - but go big or go home is my motto[​IMG])

I did my research before putting these bad boys in the bator.

I put my shipped eggs (only 4 made it to the bator as 2 arrived broke and only 6 were ordered) in the incubator set at 100.1 degrees on the dry hatch method. My calibration thermometer/humidity checker came halfway threw hatch. I checked and the bator seemed right on. I took thermometer out. Tried it about 5 days later and the temp was off and showed 98 degrees!!! I fiddled with the temp, and left the thermometer inside the digital incubator - both showed temp was right on from then on. Then on day 17, I went into lockdown (with only 3 eggs as I had to throw one rotten one out on day 12). I have kept the humidity at the 75% mark give or take a tiny bit since lockdown.

It's now day 22 and there is no hatching happening. No action at all. It doesn't smell in the bator (I will admit, I lifted the lid, I'm getting ansy [​IMG]) so that must mean that they are all good? Candling the eggs got me no where as everything is to dark to REALLY see in. I can see dark masses, but that's about it.

Question is: how long do I leave eggs in there before I give up hope? Did the "oops" in temperature flux mess with them? Will it take longer for them to hatch due to the lower temp for the few days?

Next up are Cream Legbars that just arrived today (15 eggs). Will let them rest 24 hours and hoping to start them in the incubator tomorrow? If the black coppers cooperate that is?

2. Carpenter

Carpenter Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2013
    This is the hardest part of incubating. Patience. Just let them hatch when they are ready. You have waited this long, what's another day or two!:)

3. JoshFig

JoshFig Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2015
    First time I hatched Maran eggs they hatched at day 22 and day 23. I think this was more due to the fact I had no fan in the bator at the time and these eggs were on the outside of the bator (so a bit cooler). Maran eggs are also a bit thicker - so it takes a bit for the chicks to break thru.

Can you hear the chicks chirping from inside the eggs yet?

4. laceyyates

Sep 9, 2016
    I can't, my bator is "too loud". The fan I think would drown out quite sounds. I have no idea what to listen for, though. Thank you for your reply!!

5. JoshFig

JoshFig Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2015
    take an egg out and listen to it - if there is a chicken alive in there it should have at lease pipped into the air sack inside and you will hear it chirping. We usually hear the eggs chirping before they get the first crack in the shell.

Its possible at any given time they are resting as well - so don't toss if you don't hear something in the first one.

You really don't have to worry about moving the eggs at this point. As soon as one of the chicks hatches in a batch they move the other eggs all over the incubator - they still hatch just fine.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  6. laceyyates

Sep 9, 2016
    Oh - great! I didn't know that! I will listen now! I thought that if the eggs were disturbed they would die, so I actually cut an egg carton up to kind of hold eggs in place if that makes sense?

7. laceyyates

Sep 9, 2016
    Nope - I can't hear anything from any of the 3 eggs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by