Black Copper Maran Hen or Rooster?

cls1958

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 25, 2013
Purchased 3 black copper marans that were told they were all laying hens, they are 4 months old but don't look like most black copper marans I am seeing on the forums. Can anyone tell me what this is and hen or rooster??? Thank you

It is a boy. See the shiny golden feathers on the wings coming out- only boys have them. I do not think this bird is Marans, or at least pure Marans. What tipe of comb he has?

this is the best I could get, a woman sold us three chickens and said they were all hens. Maybe the other 2 are roosters as well. New a this and learning a lot. Thank you for all the help

I hate to say it, but I think if is 4mo old it is cockerel. I think I see same tiny golden feathers sprouting on his wings also. Sorry that happen to you.

Thank you all, very disappointing :-(
Can you tell me why one has a comb and the other one does not? Do they just develope at different levels?

Thank you all, very disappointing :-(
Can you tell me why one has a comb and the other one does not? Do they just develope at different levels?
Yep. Walk down the hall at any middle school and you'll see boys that have almost men's bodies, and boys that still haven't developed at all. Same thing here.

That black combed bird may never have as large a comb as the other one, those black combs just tend to be smaller from what I've seen. But he'll still crow!

Back
Top Bottom