Black Copper Maran lays her first egg DAYS ago & none since.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AspiringUrbaniteFarmer, Aug 14, 2011.

1. AspiringUrbaniteFarmer

AspiringUrbaniteFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Melbourne FL
    My black Copper Marans I purchased off craigslist are about 5-6 months old. One laid what was apparently her first egg the other day. She has the most exaggerated comb of all the girls in her "flock" & so naturally, first to lay, I suppose. This was 4 days ago & haven't seen any since. Worried that she's "stopped up"... does that happen? She's made a nest twice since her first egg & afterwards sat for an entire hour with no results. My girls free range during the day & go to the coop when they feel like it. Mostly they lay in the shade & scratch any bare ground they can find.

Is there anything I can do to help her out?

I'm feeding soy-free layer feed & I live in FL so I realize the stress of a changed environment, the heat, the new food, etc... could all have an impact on here. I was under the impression that chickens often lay two eggs their first day, though... then often one a day after.

Please let me know your experiences, etc... Thanks [​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Laying 2 eggs in one day is extremely rare - I've never seen it myself, but I've read a couple people here that say it happened to them. Sporadic laying is common in new layers as their bodies adjust to the laying process. Don't worry, she'll get regular. It takes roughly 25 hours to make an egg.

3. AspiringUrbaniteFarmer

Jul 20, 2011
    Melbourne FL
    Thanks, I'm super new at this !

4. MassivelyScrambled

MassivelyScrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Northern California
    No worries...our Frizzle Cochin laid two eggs two days apart and then nothing for a whole week when she first started laying. It had us worried too, but she got over it and we found through this forum that this type of thing is actually not uncommon in new layers. Now she's laying about 5-6 eggs a weeks. ** Just make sure she's not hiding them somewhere in your yard! LOL

5. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    I have 2 BCMs and have to say they are not the most consistent layers in my experience. Out of the 2 BCMs I probably get one egg a day, sometimes none at all.

6. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Since she free ranges, could she be laying somewhere else? I found a marans egg in the bushes in front of my house. [​IMG] They are in lockdown today!

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:I have 2 BCM's and I get at least 1 egg most days this time of year. My first girl lays every other day without fail. My other is usually 2 days on 1 day off.

Certainly less quanititly than some other breeds. And mine stop altogether for winter. (even in their first year of lay)

8. AspiringUrbaniteFarmer

Jul 20, 2011
    Melbourne FL
    HEY GUYS! Thanks a million. I combed through all the ferns & bushes they hide in with a rake & found zero eggs. I locked them in their coop today when my one girl seemed to be nesting. Went back inside & sure enough... within an hour she was sitting on an egg!!! If she sits on it after she lays it, but doesn't seem annoyed when I snatch it, does that still make her broody? She's my first hen to lay ever ever ever & I've had chickens, etc... for LESS THAN A MONTH. Thanks! [​IMG]

9. MassivelyScrambled

MassivelyScrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Northern California
    Nah she's good...broody would be when she won't get off the egg(s) she lays, tries to keep you from taking the eggs and refuses to eat so she can sit on the egg/eggs etc... Get in the habit of taking the eggs out soon after they are layed and this will cut down on that tendency. Sounds ilke your hen is doing fine though, no worries...give her time her pattern will become more consistent. [​IMG]

10. AspiringUrbaniteFarmer

Jul 20, 2011
    Melbourne FL
    K so she's not broody, yay! Thanks for that info. I got another egg today! HOORAY chicken! Lay lay lay!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by