Black Copper Maran only laid once

sharoncreer

Hatching
Nov 11, 2016
I have three healthy, beautiful chickens - a black copper maran, an andalusian, and a mix maran/andalusian. My copper maran laid one egg on Sept. 12 when she was 21 weeks old. It was a gorgeous, deep, chocolate brown egg. Unfortunately, it is the only egg she has laid. One of the other chickens started laying about a month later. It has now been two months since and she is 31 weeks old and she has yet to lay another egg. She has a bright, red comb and is very active. She seems totally healthy. I am feeding her layer feed with extra calcium. Should I be concerned?

welcome-byc.gif
Is it possible that she may have a hidden nest ?

Welcome to BYC. I too would have suspicions that she may be laying elsewhere.

Best wishes
CT

Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! You've been given some great ideas for why she hasn't been laying, I hope you figure out what's wrong!

We have a nice big chicken run that she is kept in, but there really isn't any place for a hidden nest. We do have predators around our area, but as everything is brand new, there isn't a way for any predators to get in. Is it possible for a chicken not to be a layer?

Hi, welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

One of my EE did basically that. I got 2 eggs, then nothing. About 2 months later she has finally started laying on a regular basis.
yesss.gif

My guess is her system is still getting going and the short days may have an effect, since there is no possibility of a hidden nest. The things I experience with a flock of 50 is much greater than what I saw when I had only 3.

Back
Top Bottom