Black Copper Maran only laid once

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sharoncreer, Nov 11, 2016.

1. sharoncreer

sharoncreer New Egg

Nov 11, 2016
    I have three healthy, beautiful chickens - a black copper maran, an andalusian, and a mix maran/andalusian. My copper maran laid one egg on Sept. 12 when she was 21 weeks old. It was a gorgeous, deep, chocolate brown egg. Unfortunately, it is the only egg she has laid. One of the other chickens started laying about a month later. It has now been two months since and she is 31 weeks old and she has yet to lay another egg. She has a bright, red comb and is very active. She seems totally healthy. I am feeding her layer feed with extra calcium. Should I be concerned?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Is it possible that she may have a hidden nest ?

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Do you have any "egg eater," chickens or predators around? Snakes, rats, raccoons, will take eggs.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Welcome to BYC. I too would have suspicions that she may be laying elsewhere.

Best wishes
    CT

5. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! You've been given some great ideas for why she hasn't been laying, I hope you figure out what's wrong!

6. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

7. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

8. sharoncreer

sharoncreer New Egg

Nov 11, 2016
    We have a nice big chicken run that she is kept in, but there really isn't any place for a hidden nest. We do have predators around our area, but as everything is brand new, there isn't a way for any predators to get in. Is it possible for a chicken not to be a layer?

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! Best wishes to you and your flock! [​IMG]

10. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

One of my EE did basically that. I got 2 eggs, then nothing. About 2 months later she has finally started laying on a regular basis. [​IMG]

My guess is her system is still getting going and the short days may have an effect, since there is no possibility of a hidden nest. The things I experience with a flock of 50 is much greater than what I saw when I had only 3.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by