black copper maran question?????

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by salt and pepper, Dec 13, 2012.

1. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

ok, so BCMs have some feathering on their legs, but not much. if you were to breed one with a no feathered leg breed, would the offspring still have feathered feet, or would that genetic be lost during the breeding? thanks =)

2. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    some would and some wouldn't. Depends on how strongly the trait is set in each parent.
    Best,
    Karen

3. salt and pepper

would it be possible for the chicks with the feathered feet to have almost as much as the father??

4. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    While I can't tell the details of the genetics of leg feathering, I do know that leg feathering is tricky. In general, if you breed feathered and not feathered you will get both as 3rivers said. You can select from these which way to go. Takes work and many generations of selection. :)

5. salt and pepper

okay, sounds like I have my work cut out for me!! haha thanks =)

6. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Only if you care about the SOP is the leg feathering important; in Europe both exist and personally like chickens without feathering. I do have a few FBCM anyway.

7. salt and pepper

I understand that, but I really like feather footed breeds, and I want to keep that in my flock =)

8. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    No problem. YOu can breed in the trait using those that have it. Just remember that the middle toe feathering is not a DQ. It is not preferred but hard to accomplish so don't remove those with middle toe feathers if all else is good. DO you know there are marans threads with loads of information?

9. salt and pepper

yes, but there is SO much info on those threads, I'm not sure if I could find what I need!! and thanks about the info on the middle toe feather =)

10. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    USE THE SEARCH FEATURE?

I read it -- now behind by 2000 posts! Read it and save good info on your PC in a word file-- that's what I do. Snowbird bred them for years-- know his stuff. Others are learning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by