Black Copper Maran rooster - Cream Legbar hen

Cral

Hatching
Aug 19, 2020
Norway
Hi all,

Okey, newbee to corssing races. Tried to read, but I didn't get 100% sure, so just to be on safe before the hatching of this batch of CLs.

I would like oliven green eggs. And one way is to breed BCM and CL's right? But is he same which rooster I'm having? Or will the Maran Rooster be a bit big for the Cream Legbar hens?

~Cral

LadiesAndJane

Life is good...
Premium Feather Member
May 5, 2020
Hawaii
Marans over CCL is a common mix to create olive eggers. Good luck with your cross!
Marans is the same in the singular and plural as the chicken breed is named after a town in France called Marans. Commonly seen here on the threads as Maran, as people assume it is the singular form. 😊
You will get olive eggers either way, does not matter which is the rooster and no, a Marans rooster is not too big for CCL hens.

Last edited:

Cral

Hatching
Aug 19, 2020
Norway
Hmm, here in Norway, the race is written as Maran, even if it is from Marans in France, I'll try to use the right English spelling in the future. And thanks for helping, I'll keep the Rooster called Franskmannen (The Frenchman) as my primary rooster also for the CL hens.

LadiesAndJane

Life is good...
Premium Feather Member
May 5, 2020
Hawaii
Hmm, here in Norway, the race is written as Maran, even if it is from Marans in France, I'll try to use the right English spelling in the future. And thanks for helping, I'll keep the Rooster called Franskmannen (The Frenchman) as my primary rooster also for the CL hens.
No big deal! 😂
Hope Franskmannen has many children!😊

LaFleche

Crossing the Road
8 Years
Sep 22, 2012
Germany
Hi all,

Okey, newbee to corssing races. Tried to read, but I didn't get 100% sure, so just to be on safe before the hatching of this batch of CLs.

I would like oliven green eggs. And one way is to breed BCM and CL's right? But is he same which rooster I'm having? Or will the Maran Rooster be a bit big for the Cream Legbar hens?

~Cral
Hi Cral, and welcome to BYC :welcome

Black Copper Marans x Crested Cream Legbar is the right way to do it and get autosexing offspring.

Good luck and let us see some pictures of the chicks!

Last edited:

Top Bottom