BLACK COPPER MARAN "specific" hatching..they are cracking as we speak!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by r1forb, Feb 7, 2013.

1. r1forb

r1forb Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2012
    Sunny Florida
    OK, so I was a little panicked last night when I went to move them from the auto turner and I heard peeping and chirping already ....THEY ARE EARLY!! I was semi following the advice of the breeder I purchased my BCM eggs from(she lets them hatch in the turner. I decided I would wait til close to the day before to take them out). Day 21 for me is Fri 2-8-13 and they went in the incubator about 3pm.
    WELL my 1st one hatched about 3am last night[​IMG]
    so here are my questions for anyone who can help specifically with BCM's:

This lil one has been in there about 12 hrs now and I'm wondering should I go ahead and take he/she out because it's starting to get really hyper and I'm afraid it may actually disturb the other eggs. I have seen it peck at one or two. I was planning to leave he/she in there at least 24 hrs especially because I have been so busy and they are sooooo early I didn't have everything quite set for them. I think I got it finished this morning. I just don't have a typical brooder ....it's really a big pen where they will live the next 2 months so I was having a hard time getting the temp adjusted this morning.(thought I had 2 more days[​IMG]). But I can always take it out and just have her in something small for now if thats what I should do?

I have 10 eggs in there. Obviously 1 has hatched.
    The very 1st one that had chipped it's shell is making a WHOLE lotta noise, peeping very loudly but hasn't made even the tiniest crack since. This was at 11:45 last night. It's now almost 3pm. So the one that hatched was not the 1st to crack it's shell. When do you know if there is a problem? If the chick needs help? I've read all the issues BCM's have with their shells and the membranes etc.

I have one egg that was rocking itself a lot last night around midnight and now I've seen nothing since. Should I attempt to poke a tiny hole? Do you think it drowned?

I have 3 that have shown no movement at all but we are still 24 hours early I know. 2 of them when candled I could see a little something. I thought they looked promising. The 3rd I never could see through that super dark shell AT ALL ...so no clue what's going on in there.

Here's a pic of the #4 ....the one that hatched. I got better pics and videos not loaded yet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I know BCM's are often the exception to the rule on a lot of this stuff and this is my 1st hatch! Thanks so much!!
    [​IMG]

2. r1forb

r1forb Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2012
    Sunny Florida
    This Just In.....
    I went to look in @ 4pm & #9 had hatched. I'd say I just missed it. This is one that was rocking last night about midnight but then #4 in it's excitement to get out rolled it's egg across the incubator and slammed itself into poor #9 and I had not seen a movement out of it since. Not even a chip out of the shell when I was in there at 3pm today, so to come in at 4pm and #9 be hatched is pretty crazy BUT the shell is still attached to it by a cord?? membrane?? I was reading on another thread to mist with a spray bottle but this was for a chick that was still stuck in the egg. I imagine it's the same principle though? I went ahead and took hyper #4 out because it was pecking #9 who is wet & exhausted dragging it's shell around the incubator and I can't get a good look at what it is that's attached.
    Any thoughts on the spray bottle?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by